John is a proven commercial litigator with a wealth of experience protecting clients’ interests in state, federal and international courts.
He represents retailers, banks and other financial institutions, medtech companies, real estate developers, mining and manufacturing companies, insurers, electronic fund transfer and ATM companies and providers of affordable housing in a broad range of litigation involving commercial disputes, intellectual property, insurance, product liability, real estate, mass torts, class actions and other matters.
A skillful negotiator, John understands that the most efficient solution to litigation often lies outside the courtroom. He is adept at striking settlements that advance his clients’ business goals. When trial is the best option, John is a tenacious advocate, fiercely defending their vital interests in court.
John practices primarily in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio and has handled international cases in Stockholm, Sweden and Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Obtained complete dismissal of $600 million False Claims Act claim.
- Obtained complete dismissal of $4.5 million consequential damages claim in commercial dispute.
- Won summary judgment and had that decision upheld by the Pennsylvania Superior Court in a case of first impression holding that the Uniform Condominium Act does not authorize a condominium association to unilaterally terminate a property owner’s easement rights in condominium association property.
- Obtained a unanimous jury verdict of no cause of action on behalf of a global credit card company in federal court in Cincinnati.
- Vindicated a bank against lender liability and bad faith claims.
- Won back-to-back trials in commercial cases before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained reversal of summary judgment and an affirmative holding that UCC Article 9 mandates that a bank’s perfected security interest in insurance agency assets is superior to an insurance company's contractual right of set-off in the same assets.
- Defeated a motion for certification of a nationwide class action involving breach of warranty claims against a manufacturer client.
- Obtained injunctive order granting access and control of patient records to a psychiatric care provider in a contested partnership termination without interruption of services to patients.
- Successfully represented numerous manufacturers and employers in employer liability, mass tort and product liability actions in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Examples include:
- Defense of a manufacturer of industrial machinery against multiple wrongful death claims.
- Defense of a manufacturer of industrial machinery against claims of loss of hand.
- Defense of owners of manufacturing facilities against claims of mass toxic tort/exposure claims, including silica, asbestos and benzene.
- Defense of a pharmaceutical company against claims related to diet drugs.
- Defense of a medical devices manufacturer in multiple cases related to bone allografts.
- Represented a housing authority in connection with a dozen pieces of litigation related to a consent decree and obtained a termination of 15-year-old consent decree.
- Avoided the possibility of a consent decree for a client in a public housing class action through a rigorous four-month negotiation that resulted in settlement of all class action claims, allowing a comprehensive, multimillion-dollar redevelopment plan in Pittsburgh’s East Liberty neighborhood to proceed.
- Obtained releases from a major land developer in a case involving hillside subsidence in state court in Pittsburgh.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, John was a partner at a national law firm.
Honors & Awards
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Commercial Litigation in Pennsylvania by Best Lawyers (2017-2021)