John is a veteran affordable housing lawyer with a dynamic practice that includes extensive experience in complex commercial litigation. He regularly counsels financial institutions and affordable housing clients on a range of issues involving commercial litigation, intellectual property, insurance, product liability, real estate and class actions. John's clients span a wide range of industries, including mining and manufacturing, electronic fund transfer, ATM technology, medical technology and insurance.
John practices primarily in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio and has handled international cases in Stockholm, Sweden and Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Represented the Allegheny County Housing Authority in connection with a dozen pieces of litigation related to a consent decree and obtained a termination of the Sanders Consent Decree.
- Avoided any possibility of a consent decree for another client in a public housing class action through a rigorous four-month negotiation that resulted in settlement of all class action claims, which allowed a comprehensive, multimillion-dollar redevelopment plan in Pittsburgh’s East Liberty neighborhood.
- Obtained releases from a major land developer in a case involving hillside subsidence in state court in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Won summary judgment and had that decision upheld by the Pennsylvania Superior Court in a case of first impression holding that the Uniform Condominium Act does not authorize a condominium association to unilaterally terminate a property owner’s easement rights in condominium association property.
- Obtained a unanimous jury verdict of no cause of action on behalf of a global credit card company in federal court in Cincinnati, OH.
- Vindicated a bank against lender liability and bad faith claims.
- Won back-to-back trials in commercial cases before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained reversal of summary judgment and an affirmative holding that UCC Article 9 mandates that a bank’s perfected security interest in insurance agency assets is superior to an insurance companies’ contractual right of set-off in the same assets.
- Defeated a motion for certification of a nationwide class action involving breach of warranty claims against a manufacturer client.
- Obtained injunctive order granting access and control of patient records to a psychiatric care provider in a contested partnership termination without interruption of services to patients.
- Successfully represented numerous manufacturers and employers in employer liability, mass tort and product liability actions in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Examples include:
- Defense of a manufacturer of industrial machinery against multiple wrongful death claims.
- Defense of a manufacturer of industrial machinery against claims of loss of hand.
- Defense of owners of manufacturing facilities against claims of mass toxic tort/exposure claims, including silica, asbestos and benzene.
- Defense of a pharmaceutical company against claims related to diet drugs.
- Defense of a medical devices manufacturer in multiple cases related to bone allografts.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, John was a partner at a national law firm.
Honors & Awards
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Commercial Litigation in Pittsburgh by Best Lawyers (2017-2020)