John litigates subrogation and commercial claims involving loss or damage to structures, heavy equipment, trucks, motor coaches, vehicles, vessels and other property damaged by fire, water, collision or collapse. These cases require his particular experience in product liability, construction, commercial, maritime and admiralty law. John also litigates commercial contingency disputes involving business torts such as fraud, deception and misappropriation. He is licensed to practice law in four states and 12 federal district courts in the South.
John has taken leading roles in mass tort cases, including serving as co-lead counsel in a multidistrict litigation proceeding against a product manufacturer. He has published articles and conducted seminars on several of the complex issues that arise in his fields of practice, including the economic loss doctrine, the malfunction theory, the proper measure of damages, trial techniques, CSST failures, expert qualifications and other issues. He genuinely loves getting the call on a catastrophic case, and will take calls at all hours of the night to jump on the case immediately. He values responsiveness, resourcefulness and results.
- Has pursued dozens of structure fires arising from CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing)
- Former co-lead counsel of the plaintiffs’ steering committee on the Ford Cruise Control Deactivation Switch federal Multi-District Litigation (MDL) proceeding in the Eastern District of Michigan
- Highly experienced in structural failures and fires, including fireplace failures, fire protection system failures (“spread fires”), truss failures, material failures, electrical failures, plumbing failures, induced sinkholes, appliance failures and product defects
- Recovery of marine losses, including marina fires and vessel fires, collisions and allisions
- Recovery of maritime and cargo claims involving Carmack and/or COGSA
- Business tort litigation
Before Fox Rothschild
John was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Guideline and Checklists for Subrogation Recovery
This resource serves as a guideline for understanding subrogation recovery and the insurance claims processes in specific subrogation cases. Explore comprehensive checklists that help identify the investigative information shaping water loss, fire loss, vehicle fire, wind/weather loss, sinkhole loss and CSST cases.