An experienced transactional lawyer, Jon represents both emerging and established businesses — particularly technology companies — in financing, technology-related transactions, privacy and corporate governance matters.
Jon’s practice involves:
- Technology Transactions – Counseling clients with respect to the drafting and negotiation of complex agreements for the development, purchase, license, implementation/integration and distribution of computer software and hardware, SaaS and other technology-related products and services. In addition, Jon advises clients on information security, outsourcing, hosting, open-source software issues, Internet of Things (IoT) and conducting business over the internet. Jon frequently works on agreements involving: outsourcing, system implementation/integration, SaaS/cloud, managed services, hosting/data centers, supply and distribution, and resellers.
- Privacy & Data Security – Advising in-house legal departments, IT teams and client leaders on corporate data security and incident planning and response efforts, including development of corporate privacy and security policies and procedures, breach preparation and cybersecurity risk management, and compliance with privacy and breach notification laws. Jon helps clients identify, evaluate and manage risks associated with the collection and use of personal information.
- Health Law and Health Information Technology – Representing and advising medical technology companies on the drafting and negotiation of Clinical Trial Agreements and other transactions involving the licensing and commercialization of intellectual property, the procurement process, and negotiations with providers and health systems. Jon represents care providers and ancillary entities in matters involving the procurement and use of technology in health care, including preparing and negotiating information technology and other technology contracts, such as Electronic Health Records (EHR) system agreements.
- Research & Development, and Commercialization Agreements – Structuring and negotiating joint ventures, development agreements and commercialization agreements.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Representing clients in venture capital financing, private securities offerings and acquisition/disposition transactions, and with regard to technology matters in mergers, acquisitions, investments, joint ventures and other transactions.
Jon gained extensive international business experience through his work as a software engineer at Control Data Corporation, product development leader and site leader at General Electric and as vice president of product development for Datacard Corporation. He has travelled and conducted business in many countries, including a multiyear assignment living and working in London. He is also a named inventor of two patents for identification and digital image management systems.
- Advises clients on Data Privacy & Data Security Compliance, Policy Drafting and Program Development, Privacy Compliance Risk Assessments and Gap Analysis.
- Advises health care providers on the preparation and negotiation of information technology contracts, such as electronic health records (EHR) system agreements.
- Advises clients on the conduct of business over the internet, including the preparation of hosting agreements, site-use terms and conditions, privacy policies and other agreements and policies.
- Provides ongoing counsel to a global medical device company on sales channel distribution agreements and product purchasing agreements and regularly advises the client on confidentiality, nondisclosure and noncompete matters.
- Advises medical device clients on Clinical Trial Agreements.
- Advises clients on high-profile information technology contract negotiations, including the preparation and planning necessary for major software development and implementation projects, including contracts valued at more than $100 million.
- Advises clients on IT outsourcing agreements.
- Advises clients on resolving disputes concerning unsuccessful software development and implementation projects.
- Advises multiple clients on outsourcing development and other functions to unaffiliated business partners, including negotiations with CRM and ERP vendors.
- Advises early-stage companies on venture capital and private financings.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Jon was a partner with Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP.
While attending law school, Jon was a member of the William Mitchell Law Review.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jon was selected for the Leadership Twin Cities program’s Class of 2014-2015. Leadership Twin Cities is a professional development program that informs participants about the critical issues facing the community with the goal of inspiring future leaders and challenging them to make a difference.
Honors & Awards
- Named an “Up & Coming Attorney” by Minnesota Lawyer (2014)
- Recipient, “Oppenheimer Inner Fire Award,” Presented for Extraordinary Community Service (2014)