Jon is a partner and member of the firm's litigation team in the Charlotte office. With an emphasis on commercial litigation, he has represented a number of large and mid-market corporate, banking, professional and insurance clients in state and federal courts and in administrative proceedings. His practice includes a range of matters involving antitrust litigation and counseling; contract, vendor, manufacturer-dealer, shareholder and other commercial disputes; financial services litigation; fiduciary litigation relating to trust administration; professional liability matters; and matters relating to the sports industry. He has served as first-chair counsel in jury cases tried to verdict, bench trials, administrative trials and arbitrations. Jon is also certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission as a mediator in North Carolina.
Before Fox Rothschild
Jon was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018. At Smith Moore Leatherwood, Jon served in several firm management capacities, including chair of the firmwide Compensation Committee for four years and as a member of the firm's Management Committee.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
A testament to his extensive service record with the North Carolina Bar Association, Jon was named president-elect of the NCBA for the 2020-2021 term. He previously served as chair of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section (now the Antitrust and Complex Business Disputes Section), two years as chair of the Judicial Independence Committee as well as a three-year term on the NCBA Board of Governors. In 2019, Jon was appointed to the State Judicial Council by the North Carolina State Bar Council.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Litigation: General Commercial - North Carolina (2012-2013), Antitrust: Recognized Practitioner - North Carolina (2017-2019), Antitrust - North Carolina (2020)
- Awarded the "Distinguished Service Award" by the North Carolina Bar Association’s Antitrust & Complex Business Disputes Law Section
- Named to North Carolina Super Lawyers, listed Business Litigation (2013-2020)
- Selected to Super Lawyers Business Edition list, Business Litigation (2013-2015)
- Named Charlotte Best Lawyers Litigation - Antitrust Lawyer of the Year (2013, 2016, 2018-2020)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Antitrust Law (2010-2021), Litigation-Antitrust (2013-2021), Commercial Litigation (2013-2021), Bet-the-Company Litigation (2018-2021) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- Named to "The Best Lawyers - Lawyer of the Year" list for Antitrust (2020)
- Named to the "Lawyer of the Year" list in North Carolina for Antitrust Litigation by Best Lawyers (2021)
- Named to Business North Carolina's Legal Elite Hall of Fame, Antitrust (2012)