Joe concentrates his practice on creditors’ rights, bankruptcy transactions and receiverships.
He has broad experience in bankruptcy cases involving software, telecommunication and technology companies, vessels, heavy equipment, office buildings, real estate developments, ranches and farms, retailers, hotels, parking garages and health care entities.
Joe is also the Office Managing Partner for the Seattle office.
In bankruptcy proceedings, Joe represents:
- buyers and sellers
- creditors’ committees
- lessors and lessees
- licensors and licensees
- Lead counsel for Microsoft Corporation in bankruptcy cases nationally, especially regarding licensing matters for Microsoft Licensing G.P.
- In re Fairfield Residential LLC (Bankr. DEL): Represent Allstate Life Insurance Company for claims on guarantees.
- In re The Catholic Bishop of Spokane (Bankr. E.D. WA): Represent Tort Claimants’ Committee. Instrumental in concept and drafting of Plan of Reorganization.
Receiverships and Foreclosures
- Counsel for Union Bank, N.A., for troubled loans and REO properties in Washington state acquired from the Federal Deposit Insurance Company as receiver of Frontier Bank.
- Counsel for several lenders in complicated foreclosures of commercial real and personal property.
- Counsel for general and custodial receivers appointed under Washington Receivership Act.
- In re Pine Street Garage LLC (Bankr. W.D. WA): Represent Capmark Bank in connection with foreclosure, receivership and Chapter 11 case involving significant property in downtown Seattle.
- In re Skagit Gardens, Inc. (Bankr. W.D. WA): Represent Skagit Horticulture LLC as successful competing bidder for purchase of substantially all of the assets of the debtor.
- In re Coast Crane Company (Bankr. W.D. WA): Represent Essex Rental Corp as successful competing bidder for purchase of substantially all of the assets of the debtor.
- In re Stayton SW Assisted Living, L.L.C.(the Consolidated Sunwest Related Entities) (Bankr. OR): Represent Emeritus Corporation as member of successful stalking horse bidder for purchase of substantially all of the assets of the debtor.
- In re Trident Waterworks, Inc. (Bankr. W.D. WA): Represent Consolidated Supply as successful stalking horse bidder for purchase of substantially all of the assets of the debtor.
- MUFG Union Bank N.A. v. Campadore, Washington Court of Appeals, March 2017
- Union Bank, N.A. v. Blanchard, Washington Court of Appeals, June 2016
- Frontier Bank v. Bingo Investments, LLC, Washington Court of Appeals, November 2015
- Williams v. Athletic Field, Inc., 172 Wn. 2d 683 (2011)
- Triad Intern. Maintenance Corp. v. AIM Aviation, Inc., 473 F. Supp. 2d 666 (M.D.N.C. 2006)
- Harbor Steps Ltd. Partnership v. Seattle Technical Finishing, Inc., 93 Wn. App. 792 (1999)
- In re Virtual Vision, Inc., 124 F.3d 1140 (9th Cir. 1997)
- McIntyre v. State, Dept. of Health, Medical Disciplinary Board, 133 Wn. 2d 859 (1997)
- In re Parker Refrigerated Service, Inc., 173 B.R. 704 (Bankr. W.D. Wash. 1994)
- Stoumbos v. Kilimnik, 988 F.2d 949 (9th Cir. 1993)
- In re Kemp Pacific Fisheries, Inc., 136 B.R. 268 (W.D. Wash. 1990)
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Joe was the president and CEO of Riddell Williams. Before entering private practice, Joe served as the law clerk to the late Justice Robert F. Brachtenbach of the Washington State Supreme Court.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Joe is a Past President of the Board of Directors of Northwest Seaport, a not-for-profit maritime heritage organization, and was a member of the Seattle King County Maritime Heritage Task Force. He is also a past Vice President of the Rotary Club of Lake Union.
Honors & Awards
- Named as a leading bankruptcy/restructuring attorney in Washington by Chambers USA (2010-2018)
- Named to “Best Bankruptcy Lawyers in America” in Corporate Counsel magazine
- Named among the Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Bankruptcy Litigation (2019)
- Named among “The Best Lawyers in America - Lawyers of the Year” for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights and Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2019)
- Named to Seattle’s “Top Business Lawyers” by Seattle Business Monthly magazine
- Named in Washington “Super Lawyers” (2003-2018)
- Rated AV Preeminent® by LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell®