Throughout her career, Kathleen has developed a practice dedicated to representing clients in all facets of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases and has significant litigation experience. Kathleen frequently appears in the bankruptcy courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey.
Kathleen primarily represents Chapter 7 trustees in large, medium and small wind-downs and liquidations, including asset sales, litigation against former directors and officers, and claims objections. Kathleen has represented debtors in Chapter 11 reorganizations, as well as fiduciaries appointed to operate and wind down debtors in liquidating Chapter 11 cases. In addition, Kathleen has significant experience representing creditors’ rights in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, including property owner rights, franchisor rights, secured lenders and other unsecured creditors, including in defense of objections to claims. She has experience performing this work in a variety of industries, including real estate development, restaurants, transportation and retail. Kathleen also prosecutes and defends clients in Chapter 5 avoidance actions in both Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings, including a large national furniture chain, retail, energy, major financial institutions, an international media company, healthcare and transportation.
- Represented franchisor’s rights in chapter 11 case of a private preschool and educational daycare facility.
- Successfully reorganized four related real estate development companies in Chapter 11 by restructuring multi-million dollar mortgages, encumbering two parcels of real property in various stages of development into shopping centers, including the release of personal and corporate guarantees for the Debtors’ officers and family members.
- Represented Trustee in liquidating Chapter 11 case involving the sale of real property, which realized more than 140% of the estimated value of the property at the time of filing, successfully confirmed a Chapter 11 plan and resolved all remaining claims against the net proceeds in a global settlement approved by all creditors and the bankruptcy court.
- Represented Chapter 11 Trustee of bankruptcy involving the co-owner of multi-family rental properties in Bronx, New York, which involved significant oversight and management of the properties and, ultimately, liquidation of the properties in connection with confirmation of a liquidating Chapter 11 plan.
- Represented mortgagee with security interest in real property owned by a religious school in Brooklyn in Chapter 11 and successfully negotiated satisfaction of foreclosure judgment through replacement financing in connection with a Chapter 11 plan support agreement.
- Represented debtors in chapter 7 proceedings, including preparing for filing and liquidation the U.S. operations of a well-known, international fashion retailer and a reputable literary agency forced to liquidate due to fraud committed by its bookkeeper.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey in liquidating a New Jersey home design and construction company.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in winding down a large, international law firm by closing debtor’s remaining offices; assessing assumption or rejection of equipment and property leases; preserving assets for liquidation; managing team of attorneys and outside agents to implement a process for former clients and attorneys to retrieve client files from off-site storage; and collecting accounts receivable.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in administering the bankruptcy cases of four real estate investment companies, alleged to be perpetuating a fraudulent, Ponzi-like investment scheme.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee of the single asset real estate holding company of the H&H Bagel operations and successfully sold real property for amount exceeding scheduled value by several million dollars, which resulted in a 96% distribution to general unsecured creditors.
- Represented a financial institution in an adversary proceeding in bankruptcy court involving the valuation of several hundred complex interest rate swaps terminated due to Lehman Brothers’ failure.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in prosecuting approximately 500 avoidance actions against defendants in the shipping and transportation industries. Along with a team of Fox attorneys, Kathleen oversaw approximately 100 of the proceedings and was involved in researching and drafting summary pleadings.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in liquidation of a NY-based broker-dealer and its parent company in the wake of criminal convictions of several of the debtor’s officers and directors for orchestrating an international bribery scheme in violation of anti-money laundering regulations and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, including acting as co-counsel in fraudulent transfer trial.
Before Fox Rothschild
Before becoming an attorney, Kathleen was previously a senior associate in the Forensic Services practice group at KPMG LLP, where she worked with lawyers, former prosecutors, FBI agents, journalists and law enforcement officials, on various aspects of corporate investigations, including an international fraud scheme in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Her work at KPMG focused primarily on performing anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing compliance reviews for several large financial institutions in Korea, Japan, China and the United States. She was integral in developing proprietary tools to assess compliance in response to regulatory examinations, including creating a transaction look-back database to analyze bank transactions for indicia of suspicious activity to satisfy regulatory reporting requirements. Kathleen also conducted a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation in the Sao Paolo, Brazil branch of a U.S.-based online gaming company.
During law school, Kathleen was a law clerk in the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General. She was also a participant, board member and recipient of an award for Top 10 Brief in the Rutgers School of Law-Camden’s Moot Court and a practitioner in the Children’s Justice and Street Law Clinics.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Kathleen is a Board Member of the New York Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) and Chairperson of the Chapter’s Network of Women Committee. She is also a member of TMA’s Global Network of Women Committee. Kathleen is an active fundraiser and co-leader of Fox Rothschild’s Cycle for Survival team, which raises money for rare cancer trials and research in connection with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. She also volunteers fundraises for Dress for Success, providing professional clothing and career development assistance to women entering or re-entering the workforce. Kathleen originally hails from New Jersey and enjoys traveling and spending time with family and friends.
Honors & Awards
- Named to a list of "Super Lawyers - Rising Stars" for Bankruptcy in New York (2015-2018)*