Kent's practice is concentrated in life, health and disability insurance litigation and employee benefits litigation under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). His ERISA experience includes the defense of employee benefits determinations by self-funded and insured plans, breach of fiduciary duty claims and statutory penalty claims at both the trial court and appellate court levels.
- Smith v. Cox Enterprises, Inc., 2015 WL 331116 (N.D. Ga. Jan. 27, 2015). Defended the administrator of a self-funded ERISA plan in an action for disability benefits.
- Roberson v. McIntosh County School District, 326 Ga. App. 874, 755 S.E. 2d 304 (2014). Defended an insurer in a claim for life insurance benefits.
- Dorsey v. Aetna Life Insurance Co., 2013 WL 1288165 (E.D. Va. Mar. 26, 2013). Defended a third-party administrator in a claim for disability benefits under a self-funded ERISA plan.
- Medical Ctr. v. Humana Military Healthcare Services, 2012 WL 3295640 (M.D. Ga. Aug. 10, 2012). Defended a TRICARE managed care support contractor in an action to recover recouped over-payments.
- Muhammad v. Humanadental Ins. Co., 2010 WL 457498 (N.D. Ga. Feb. 10, 2010). Defended an insurer in a claim for dental benefits under ERISA plan.
- Le Roux v. Woodgrain Millwork, Inc., 2008 WL 1836672 (D. Idaho Apr. 22, 2008). Defended a self-funded health benefits plan in an action to recover ERISA benefits.
- Mitchell v. Globe Life and Accident Ins. Co., 548 F. Supp. 2d 1385 (N.D. Ga. 2007). Defended a life insurer in an action to recover accidental death benefits.
Before Fox Rothschild
Kent was a member of the Southeast regional firm Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
In addition to his active representation of clients, Kent speaks and publishes articles on ERISA and insurance topics. He is past chair of the Life Insurance Law Committee of the ABA's Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section and is active in the Defense Research Institute and International Claim Association.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®