Ranked among New York's leading construction law attorneys by Chambers USA, Laurie advises clients throughout the project lifecycle, mitigates risks and protects and defends their interests in disputes involving construction defects, payment claims, liens and other issues.
Laurie represents domestic and international developers and owners, major construction companies, trade contractors, architects, engineers and consultants in a broad range of construction matters. Acting as a business partner, she counsels clients in the preparation, review and negotiation of:
- Easements, licensing and access agreements with neighboring properties
- Construction and design contracts
- Insurance policies, financing and leases
- Project management, development, branding and brokerage agreements
- Construction easement and license provisions in zoning lot development agreements
- Joint venture agreements
- Successfully argued for adjoining property owner’s right to a license fee for loss of use of rooftop terrace and alleyway due to neighboring co-op’s Local Law 11 work. Supreme Court’s decision, which also awarded the owner and coop a per diem penalty if the work was not completed on time, held that notwithstanding that the petitioner's intrusion was for the purpose of repairs, as opposed to new or elective construction, respondent should not have to bear the loss uncompensated. The Appellate Division upheld the decision and also held that the Supreme Court also did not abuse its discretion in granting respondent’s attorneys' and engineers' fees. (Van Dorn Holdings, LLC v. 152 W. 58th Owners Corp., 2016 NY Slip Op 31598(U))
- Handle construction contracts and neighboring property owner agreements for U.S. subsidiary of Chinese international real estate firm developing a mixed-use, 16-story, 269-unit condo and hotel building at the site of a historic theater in Flushing, Queens. Project includes 17,000 square feet of retail, 15,000 square feet for a community facility, 305 parking spaces, the restoration and reuse of the landmarked theater lobby and negotiations with more than 21 adjoining property owners. The project involved several court proceedings to obtain access. Have represented the client in multiple projects, including development of an 82-unit mixed-use building housing condominiums and retail space in Hell’s Kitchen.
- Drafted and negotiated construction contacts and license agreements with neighboring properties for mixed-use condominium projects on the Upper West Side of Manhattan — totaling 250,000 square feet and valued at more than $100 million — for vertically integrated owner, developer and operator of residential real estate in New York.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Laurie was a partner in the real estate and construction practice of an East Coast law firm.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Laurie is an active speaker, published author and CLE instructor. She has taught the popular CLE program "Welcome to the Neighborhood” with National Law Institute for the past decade. Laurie is also an active member of the New York Chapter of CREW and the Women Builders Council.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Construction - New York (2020)
- Named to the "Notable Women in Law" list by Crain's New York Business (2021)
- Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law - New York (2021)
- LEED Green Associate