Ranked among New York's leading construction law attorneys by Chambers USA, Laurie advises clients throughout the project lifecycle, mitigates risks and protects and defends their interests in disputes involving construction defects, payment claims, liens and other issues.
Laurie represents domestic and international developers and owners, major construction companies, trade contractors, architects, engineers and consultants in a broad range of construction matters. Acting as a business partner, she counsels clients in the preparation, review and negotiation of:
- Easements, licensing and access agreements with neighboring properties
- Construction and design contracts
- Insurance policies, financing and leases
- Project management, development, branding and brokerage agreements
- Construction easement and license provisions in zoning lot development agreements
- Joint venture agreements
- Assisted a client’s bankruptcy counsel in preparing for trial and eventually settling with the owner of a neighboring property that refused to extend the term of an access agreement due to the bankruptcy. The license agreement was essential to the client’s ability to get the reorganization plan confirmed.
- Represented a co-op whose neighboring property had to perform Local Law 11 work, requiring protection of the co-op's penthouse terrace and alleyway. The court awarded the penthouse owner a monthly license fee and the owner and the co-op a per diem penalty if the work was not completed by a certain date. The court also awarded all attorney and engineering fees incurred by the co-op and cited Laurie's argument that the statute and a recent Appellate Division case make no distinction between LL 11 and discretionary work that affects a neighbor. The case was affirmed by the Appellate Division.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order ceasing a neighboring developer's unlawful underpinning of the building of our client, Sunset Park Terrace I Condominium.
- Advising a developer in connection with its demolition of a large building to make way for construction of a new tower slated to be a condominium. We are assisting in negotiating 21 adjoining property owner agreements. The project involved several court proceedings to obtain access.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Laurie was a partner in the real estate and construction practice of an East Coast law firm.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Laurie is an active speaker, published author and CLE instructor. She has taught the popular CLE program "Welcome to the Neighborhood” with National Law Institute for the past decade. Laurie is also an active member of the New York Chapter of CREW and the Women Builders Council.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Construction - New York (2020)
- Named to the "Notable Women in Law" list by Crain's New York Business (2021)
- Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law - New York (2021)
- LEED Green Associate