Mark has more than 30 years of experience as a real estate practitioner with a practice that centers on significant transactional work, including office buildings, residential developments, industrial parks and shopping malls and centers.
His practice also has a particular focus on representing clients in the hospitality industry. He takes a lead role in the sale, acquisition, development and management of full-service and limited-service hotels throughout the United States. He is skilled in the negotiation of franchise and management agreements on behalf of his franchisee clients and has worked closely on their behalf in negotiating with major franchisors such as Marriott, Choice and Hilton on transitioning franchisees and resolving disputes.
Ranked as a leading Real Estate lawyer in Pennsylvania by Chambers USA, Mark served an extensive term as chair of Fox’s Real Estate Department and as co-chair of the firm’s Hospitality Practice.
- Represent owners of large commercial office buildings in leasing work, including two clients who own more than 2 million square feet of space in Philadelphia and its suburbs.
- Negotiate management agreements, construction contracts, development agreements and similar contractual arrangements among various parties involved in the development and operation of real estate.
- Represent owners and developers in the acquisition, sale and financing of multi-family, retail, office and industrial projects, including conduit financing, rendering of complex legal opinions and workouts concerning distressed assets.
- Negotiate complex joint venture agreements between institutional investors and real estate entrepreneurs.
A familiar face within the hospitality community, Mark has written and spoken on matters of interest to executives in the industry, as well as to shopping center owners and tenants. He has taught at the Institute for Paralegal Training in Philadelphia and lectured on commercial leasing topics to developers and retailers.
Mark's leadership roles within the firm include serving as Firmwide Managing Partner and on the firm’s Executive Committee and Finance Committee, former managing partner of the Philadelphia office and former chair of the Real Estate Department.
Before Fox Rothschild
In law school at Boston University, Mark received the Paul J. Liacos, Edward P. Hennessey and G. Joseph Tauro scholarly designations.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Mark serves as a Big Brother and is a former Chair of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southeastern Pennsylvania. He founded the “Beyond School Walls” program at Fox Rothschild, which pairs thirty mentors from the firm in rewarding relationships to help needy children from a local elementary school. He is also a member of the Philadelphia Real Estate Council, the Asian American Hotel Owners Association and the International Council of Shopping Centers.
Honors & Awards
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Leisure and Hospitality Law in Pennsylvania by Best Lawyers (2015-2021)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Real Estate - Pennsylvania (2012-2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Named to the "Super Lawyers" list for Real Estate in Pennsylvania (2004-2020)
- Named a "Super Lawyer" in the area of Real Estate by Super Lawyers Magazine (Corporate Counsel Edition) (2010)
- Named to “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Real Estate (2013)