Martin is a skilled trial lawyer and settlement negotiator. He focuses on high-stakes civil cases and appeals – with deep experience in class actions, mass actions, multidistrict litigation and complex settlements.
Martin has represented leading global companies in all aspects of litigation from pretrial through appeal and settlement, including numerous test cases and more than 20 successful appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit. He excels at leading clients facing significant exposure to overcome complicated legal risks by providing insightful counsel that anticipates procedural challenges and strategizes favorable exits from protracted litigation.
Martin’s core practice involves cases related to complex commercial disputes, environmental claims, oil spills, plastics, pharmaceuticals, consumer protection, private standards organizations, products liability and insurance coverage.
- In re Deepwater Horizon (MDL 2179) – Counsel to BP in cases by DOJ, private plaintiffs, and states related to largest marine oil spill in history.
- Deepwater Horizon Economic and Property Damage Settlement – Counsel to BP in class settlement of private economic-loss and pollution claims.
- Deepwater Horizon Medical Settlement – Counsel to BP in class settlement of medical-monitoring and injury claims.
- Wisner Donation v. BP Expl. & Prod. – Counsel to BP in contract case and related pollution claims seeking remediation and award for property damages.
- Shank v. Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) – Counsel to HCSC in multi-state class action alleging consumer, contract, and injury claims related to insurance coverage for prescription drugs.
- Schulman v. Citadel – Counsel to private-equity funds, portfolio companies, and executives related to $800-million dollar M&A dispute with major plastics manufacturer.
- Confidential – Counsel to plastics manufacturer related to compliance with requirements of private standards organization.
- In re Depakote – Settlement counsel to major pharmaceutical company in cases alleging products liability related to prescription drug labels.
Before Fox Rothschild
Martin graduated from the Yale Law School. Before joining the Chicago office of Fox Rothschild LLP, Martin was a trial lawyer and litigation partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Martin has served as a mentor for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity and the Chicago Committee for Minorities in Large Law Firms. He volunteered as an interviewer for the Chicago Scholars Scholarship Program and serves as an instructor and judge for the Legal Prep Charter Academy Negotiation Program.