Matthew handles a wide array of corporate matters, with a particular focus on:
- Private company mergers and acquisitions
- Venture capital and private equity financings for technology, life sciences and cannabis companies
- Outside General Counsel for emerging and growth stage companies
Matthew is an active leader with the American Bar Association Business Law Section, co-chairing the PE/VC Committee’s Angel Venture Capital Subcommittee and serving as the M&A Technology Subcommittee's Liaison to the Legal Analytics Committee. He is actively engaged in New York's venture capital community as an attorney and angel investor, and has advised for and published with city, national and international venture capital educational and accelerator programs. Matthew is also co-founder of Digital Brown, Brown University's global network of alumni in digital technology and media.
Among the transactions Matt has handled are:
Mergers and Acquisitions: Over $3.5 billion in private company M&A transactions, including deals nominated for M&A Advisor’s 2016 “Deal of the Year” in both “middle-market” and “foreign” categories, which include:
- Inc. 100 leader in global in-app advertising for Facebook, Apple (iOS) and Android developers, in connection with a recapitalization and investment by a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Chinese private equity fund and its U.S. operating subsidiary in acquisition of a U.S.-based specialty pharmaceutical company dedicated to improving patient care through innovative therapeutics.
- Fortune 500 international retail company in its purchase of distressed assets including inventory, real estate, workforce, and accounts receivable from a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Chinese private equity fund and its U.S. operating subsidiary in the acquisition of a leading U.S. producer of marketed generic pharmaceutical products.
- Leading SaaS facility management and service products distribution platform as the target in an acquisition by a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Global manufacturer and distributor of household durable products as the target in an acquisition by a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Syndicate of healthcare industry private equity funds in the acquisition of a controlling interest in a leading manufacturer of specialty chemicals primarily used in medical devices, industrial materials and pharmaceuticals, with multiple distinct manufacturing subsidiaries.
- Company and key equityholders of a global sports franchise, with assets including intellectual property, real estate, and other key holdings, as the target in a strategic acquisition.
Venture Capital Financings: Over 100 career Series Seed through Series D, SAFE, and convertible debt venture capital and strategic investor financings for early and growth stage technology, life sciences and cannabis companies, including:
- New York’s leading angel investment networks in preferred equity financing and convertible debt financings.
- High net worth family fund in various impact investing financings.
- Preferred equity financing of a leading casino video-gaming platform.
- Global e-commerce fashion retailer featured in Vogue, Harper’s BAZAAR and Refinery 29 in a preferred equity financing.
- Consumer online engagement gaming platform in a convertible debt financing.
- Machine learning SaaS platform in multiple rounds of preferred equity financing.
- Real estate management app platform in a convertible debt financing.
- Social network app developer in a convertible equity financing.
- New York health care clinic in a recapitalization and preferred equity financing.
- Immunotherapeutics development platform in a convertible debt financing.
- Formation of and investment by an SPV in a preferred equity financing of groundbreaking cannabis license operator.
- Cannabis distribution and supply SaaS platform in a convertible debt financing.
- Cannabis distribution and supply platform in a convertible debt financing.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Cannabis Law - Nationwide (2019)
- Named to the list of "Super Lawyers - Rising Stars" for Corporate, Technology and M&A Transactions in New York (2014-2018)
Editor-in-Chief, Emerging Companies Insider
Matthew is the Editor-in-Chief of Fox Rothschild’s Emerging Companies Insider blog, which focuses on recent and developing areas of the law affecting startup and emerging growth companies and their investors. View Blog