Matt is a litigation associate in the firm’s Charlotte office. His practice focuses on business litigation, appellate and tax matters.
Matt regularly represents clients in the North Carolina Business Court and advises on Business Court and other business litigation-related matters. He is a frequent writer for the North Carolina Business Court Blog, which provides information and analysis on the latest Business Court decisions. Matt is also a former law clerk to Judge Louis A. Bledsoe III, Chief Judge of the North Carolina Business Court.
Matt represents clients before the federal and state appellate courts. His appellate experience includes overturning one of the largest North Carolina jury trial verdicts of 2015 and upholding the dismissal of a purported class action brought against a large financial institution. Matt is also a contributor to the North Carolina Appellate Practice Blog and formerly served as a law clerk to Judges Robert N. Hunter, Jr., Cressie H. Thigpen and Chris Dillon, all of the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
Matt also advises clients on tax matters. He is former Vice Chair of the Mecklenburg County Bar Association’s Tax Section and holds an LL.M. in Taxation. Matt draws on his tax knowledge and experience to advise on tax issues in both the transactional and litigation settings.
Matt's experience includes the following:
- Representing medical device company in bringing warranty-based claims relating to defectively manufactured devices used to treat neurological diseases. (N.C. Business Court)
- Defending and obtaining summary judgment on behalf of manufacturer in multimillion-dollar construction dispute. (N.C. Business Court)
- Representing board member of closely held company in asserting and defending against breach of fiduciary duty and contract-related claims. (N.C. Business Court)
- Defending and obtaining order compelling arbitration on behalf of HVAC subcontractor in multimillion-dollar construction dispute. (N.C. Business Court)
- Representing employer in asserting trade secret misappropriation claims and obtaining injunctive relief against former employees. (N.C. Business Court)
- Representing large healthcare company and obtaining reversal of $5.5 million jury verdict for pain and suffering in medical-malpractice appeal. (N.C. Court of Appeals)
- Representing large financial institution in obtaining and then defending on appeal an order dismissing all claims in purported class action alleging violations of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act. (Fourth Circuit, W.D.N.C.)
- Representing large financial institution in obtaining and then defending on appeal an order dismissing all claims arising out of bank fraud committed by third party. (Fourth Circuit, W.D.N.C.)
- Defending taxpayers against alleged multimillion-dollar tax deficiency relating to denial of net operating loss carryforwards. (U.S. Tax Court)
- Representing and asserting claims on behalf of investors defrauded in multimillion-dollar Ponzi scheme. (Bankr. W.D.N.C.)
- Representing commercial client against large, Charlotte-based utility stemming from utility’s decision to terminate multi-billion dollar project for construction of nuclear power plant. (W.D.N.C)
- Defending and asserting claims on behalf of trust beneficiary against executor of estate in multimillion-dollar trust and estate dispute. (E.D.N.C.)
- Defending and obtaining order dismissing all claims against trust company in action alleging fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. (N.C. State Court)
Before Fox Rothschild
Matt was an associate at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018. While in law school, he served as editor of the Elon Law Review and was a member of the Moot Court Board.
Honors & Awards
- Named to the "Legal Elite Young Guns" list by Business North Carolina (2021)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Listed Business Litigation (2020, 2021)