Matt regularly counsels clients on a range of commercial disputes, litigation issues and tax matters. A former law clerk at both the trial and appellate levels, he draws on his substantial experience from “the other side of the bench” to provide valuable insight and perspective in assisting his clients navigate the complexities of the state and federal courts in North Carolina, the North Carolina Business Court and the U.S. Tax Court.
- Estate of Savino v. The Charlotte Mecklenburg Hospital Authority, a North Carolina Hospital Authority, d/b/a Carolinas Healthcare System and CMC-Northeast (defense of wrongful death action alleging claims of medical and administrative negligence) (N.C. Court of Appeals) (2017-2018)
- In re TSI Holdings, LLC; In re WSC Holdings, LLC; In re Southpark Partners, LLC; In re Sharon Road Properties, LLC (prosecution of claims arising out of multimillion-dollar Ponzi scheme on behalf of defrauded investors) (Bankr. W.D.N.C.) (2017-2018)
- Trapp v. SunTrust Bank (defense of putative class action alleging violations of Equal Credit Opportunity Act in consumer loan processing) (M.D.N.C., Fourth Circuit) (2015-2017)
- Falls v. Goldman Sachs Trust Company, N.A., et al. (prosecution of undue influence and malicious interference with the right to inherit claims on behalf of trust beneficiaries in multimillion-dollar trust and estate dispute) (E.D.N.C.) (2016-2017)
- Nicks v. Nicks (defense of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims brought against third-party entities as part of equitable distribution action) (N.C. State Court) (2016-2017)
- Goldman Sachs Trust Company, N.A. v. Falls (defense of breach of contract action and prosecution of breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract counterclaims against executor of estate in multimillion-dollar trust and estate dispute) (E.D.N.C.) (2015-2017)
- Crosland v. Estate of Crosland (prosecution of petition for elective share seeking to invalidate prenuptial agreement executed under duress in multimillion-dollar estate dispute) (N.C. State Court) (2015-2017)
- Munoz v. SunTrust Bank (defense of claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices arising out of bank fraud perpetrated by third party) (W.D.N.C., Fourth Circuit), (2015-2017)
- Estate of Kechijian, et al. v. C.I.R. (defense of alleged multimillion-dollar tax deficiency relating to the denial of net operating loss carryforwards) (U.S. Tax Court) (2015-2016)
- Duke Energy Florida, Inc. v. Westinghouse Electric Company LLC (prosecution of breach of contract claim against a large, Charlotte-based utility arising out of utility’s decision to terminate an engineering, procurement and construction contract for a nuclear power plant) (W.D.N.C.) (2015-2016)
- Medflow, LLC v. Riggi (prosecution of preliminary injunction and trade secret misappropriation claims against a former employee) (N.C. Business Court) (2015-2016)
Before Fox Rothschild
Matt was an associate at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018. He previously served as a law clerk to Judge Louis A. Bledsoe III of the North Carolina Business Court. He is also a former law clerk to Judge Chris Dillon, Judge Cressie H. Thigpen, Jr. and Judge Robert N. Hunter, Jr., all of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. While in law school, he served as editor of the Elon Law Review and was a member of the Moot Court Board.
It's Just Business Blog
Matt contributes to this blog, which provides analyses of North Carolina Business Court decisions. The goal of this blog is to arm businesses with the information they need to adjust their legal strategies as the case law evolves.