Mette represents clients facing complex, financially distressed situations and bankruptcy issues, and is a certified mediator for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
Named one of the leading bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys in California and Delaware by Chambers USA, Mette has a reputation for providing unwavering and dogged representation in sophisticated workouts, restructurings, distressed M&A transactions and bankruptcy matters to help ensure her clients attain the best possible outcome.
Clients hailing from a range of industries – retail, restaurant, hospitality, agriculture, fitness, financial services, health care, real estate, and media and entertainment – praise Mette’s skill in the insolvency world, referring to her as “a pit bull in heels” and a “rock-hard…negotiator.” Others note Mette is:
- “Very direct, has a plan of action and goes on the attack with it.”
- “A dynamic attorney. She is smart and thinks outside the box.”
- “Professional, articulate and one of the brightest bankruptcy attorneys I know.”
- “An extremely skilled bankruptcy attorney who has the ideal balance of being technically skilled and practically balanced, always with one eye on delivering value to her clients.”
- A “tireless and creative” advocate.
- “Particularly effective and rare as an attorney due to her experience and people skills in navigating tricky distressed investing deals.”
Utilizing her razor-sharp business acumen and a practical approach to her clients’ financial challenges, Mette represents debtors, creditors, investors, creditor committees and other parties in all areas of reorganization, distressed sales and acquisitions, liquidations and bankruptcy-related litigation.
With a high degree of emotional intelligence, Mette also possesses a keen ability to adeptly and effectively manage the most challenging people and situations that often arise in bankruptcy. With this trait, she has gained a reputation for successfully and smoothly handling confrontational negotiations in her client representations.
Mette completed the American Bankruptcy Institute/St. John’s University School of Law Bankruptcy Mediation Training Program in 2018.
Before Fox Rothschild
Mette has practiced at various pre-eminent bankruptcy boutiques and national law firms before joining Fox Rothschild. Before practicing law, Mette was a Bank Liquidation Specialist with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Mette has been deeply involved with the national Turnaround Management Association, serving previously on its Executive Committee and as Vice President of Conferences as well as Vice President of Communications and a member of its Board of Directors.
Dedicated to community service, Mette has been actively involved in numerous community efforts. She assisted the Jubilee Campaign in raising funds through its Education After Escape campaign to assist the Nigerian schoolgirls who escaped from their Boko Haram kidnappers in seeking refuge in the United States, where they have obtained scholarships to continue their education in safety.
Additionally, she previously served as a member of the resource board of Sojourn Shelter, which provides battered women and children a safe space to regroup, rebuild and re-establish their self-esteem and lives. In 2008, she helped raise more than $25,000 for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. And in 2003, Mette's family was recognized by the City of Los Angeles as the North Hollywood YMCA's "Family of the Year" in recognition of the assistance they provided to the financially troubled North Hollywood facility and their successful efforts to prevent the closure of the highly respected YMCA preschool.
The Bottom Line – A Business Bankruptcy Blog. In Plain English.
Bottom line threats and opportunities come in many shapes and sizes. This blog cuts through the legalese to provide you with information about important business bankruptcy issues and developments that can help protect your bottom line.
Honors & Awards
- Named as one of the leading Bankruptcy/Restructuring attorneys in California by Chambers USA (2013-2014, 2016-2018) and in Delaware (2019)
- Received honorable mention for the Asset Sale of the Year Award from the American Bankruptcy Institute (2019)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2009-2019)
- Named to the list of "Super Lawyers" for Bankruptcy: Business in Southern California (2009-2019)
- Named in Southern California Women's Edition SuperLawyers (2017-2018)
- Named in Super Lawyers “Top Female Attorneys” in Southern California (2015-2017)
- Los Angeles Business Journal’s Women Making a Difference Award Nominee (2015)
- Recognized by The Daily Journal as One of the Top Women Lawyers in California (2011, 2012 and 2013)
- Recipient of the “Transaction of the Year: Mid-Sized Company” award by the Turnaround Management Association in connection with her representation of the Contessa creditors’ committee (2012)
- Received M&A Advisor's “Turnaround Award of the Year Award – Lower Middle Market” in connection with her representation of The Walking Company