Mike serves as a strategic adviser to financial institutions, investment banks and investors, cannabis firms and executives. An experienced trial and appellate lawyer, he immerses himself in clients’ businesses to thoroughly understand their goals and challenges and to design comprehensive legal strategies in which litigation is only one of many tools for achieving success.
Through military and law enforcement service, Michael learned the importance of maintaining laser focus and a steady hand in high pressure, time-sensitive situations. It informs his approach, helping him provide reliable guidance to clients facing an array of legal and business matters, from structured finance to the white-hot cannabis industry.
Chair of the firm’s Investments & Asset Management Litigation Group, Mike litigates high-stakes business, bankruptcy and investment disputes, including the sprawling financial industry litigation linked to the 2008 financial crisis. He has served as lead counsel to the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy estate for mortgage-backed securities and mortgage banking litigation and to AIG in non-compete and trade secrets matters. Mike also represents senior executives in corporate breakups and internal investigations, often involving significant securities, regulatory and/or corporate governance issues.
He has extensive experience litigating injunctions and complex cases in state and federal courts, and in FINRA and AAA arbitration, including:
- Defense of $80 billion in claims filed in the Lehman bankruptcy
- Litigation of multi-billion dollar RMBS settlements
- Prosecution of hundreds of millions of dollars in debtor indemnification claims
- Litigation of restrictive covenants and trade secrets claims
- Defense of mortgage servicing qui tam claims
Mike supports social justice efforts and public interest organizations and maintains an active pro bono practice. As a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee and in his community outreach, Mike is particularly focused on empowering women and other underrepresented communities. And as a team leader, Mike believes deeply in the power of diverse, egalitarian, and well-rounded teams, in which all members’ life experiences and talents foster entrepreneurial, creative solutions for our clients.
Before Fox Rothschild
Mike served as a combat medic in the Israel Defense Forces and later as a metropolitan Denver area police officer. After graduating summa cum laude from the University of Colorado and first in his class from the University of Denver College of Law, Mike began his legal career with the international law firm of Arnold & Porter, and later formed Rollin Braswell Fisher LLC (RBF Law), for which he was recognized as an Elite Boutique Trailblazer by the National Law Journal. RBF Law merged with Fox Rothschild in June 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Mike is active in community and pro bono service. He is a supporter of the Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network (RMIAN) and the Denver Public Schools Foundation. Mike’s successful pro bono representations include helping secure asylum for an Eritrean torture victim, and to ensure the legal right of a high school gay/straight alliance club to exist and provide support to its student population.
Honors & Awards
- Named to a list of 250 Cannabis Law Experts by Databird Research Journal (2018)
- Lawyer of the Year, Law Week Colorado (2017)
- Ranked in Chambers USA
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Elite Boutique Trailblazer, The National Law Journal (2017)
- Colorado Super Lawyers for Securities Litigation (2014-2019)
- Top 100: 2015, Colorado Super Lawyers
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation (2017, 2018)
- Local Litigation Star in Colorado – Plaintiff, Benchmark Litigation (2014)
- Colorado Rising Stars (2010-2013)