Mike is a trial and appellate lawyer who litigates high-stakes business, bankruptcy and investment-related disputes, including multimillion and multibillion-dollar cases arising out of the 2008 financial crisis. He is a careful and thorough investigator, whether for litigation or in response to internal or government inquiries.
Mike has served as lead counsel to the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy estate for mortgage-backed securities and secondary market litigation and co-chairs the firm’s Investments & Asset Management Litigation Group. Mike has also been lead national counsel for AIG and its financial services subsidiaries in non-compete, trade secrets and unfair competition matters.
He has extensive experience prosecuting and defending injunctions, and litigating a wide array of complex commercial matters in state and federal trial courts, bankruptcy courts, appellate courts, and FINRA and AAA arbitration. Mike also represents senior executives in corporate breakups and internal investigations, often involving significant securities, regulatory and/or corporate governance issues.
Mike is licensed in Colorado, New York and California – practicing regularly in all three states – and is resident in both our Denver and New York offices. Mike has received numerous recognitions, including as a Law Week Colorado 2017 Lawyer of the Year.
Mike’s significant representations include:
- Defense of $80 billion in claims filed against the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy estate, including a 2018 trial win that the New York Post called “a whopping defeat” to the claimants. “Fight over Lehman Brothers’ Mortgage claims finally over,” New York Post, March 8, 2018
- Trial counsel in AIG’s opposition to Bank of America’s $8.5 billion RMBS settlement, which the trial judge called “the mother of all MBS suits.” New York Law Journal, April 30, 2014
- Establishment of the largest and most sophisticated loan-level re-underwriting and legal review project ever implemented in connection with the financial crisis
- Prosecution of hundreds of millions of dollars of indemnification claims for the benefit of the Lehman estate and its creditors
- Numerous successful matters enforcing non-compete agreements and trade secrets rights against clients’ competitors and former employees
- Successful protection of proprietary pharmaceutical formulations
- Successful defense of allegations of unfair competition and trade secret misappropriation by competitors of a newly founded medical device company and its employees
- Successful defense of a bet-the-company trademark infringement lawsuit
- Successful representation of an international public company CEO in an internal investigation
Before Fox Rothschild
Mike served as a combat medic in the Israel Defense Forces and later as a metropolitan Denver area police officer. After graduating summa cum laude from the University of Colorado and first in his class from the University of Denver College of Law, Mike began his legal career with the international law firm of Arnold & Porter, and later formed Rollin Braswell Fisher LLC (RBF Law), for which he was recognized as an Elite Boutique Trailblazer by the National Law Journal. RBF Law merged with Fox Rothschild in June 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Mike is active in community and pro bono service. He is a supporter of the Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network (RMIAN), the Denver Public Schools Foundation, and The Headstrong Project, which provides mental health care for post- 9/11 veterans. Mike’s successful pro bono representations include helping secure asylum for an Eritrean torture victim, and to ensure the legal right of a high school gay/straight alliance club to exist and provide support to its student population.
Honors & Awards
- Named to a list of 250 Cannabis Law Experts by Databird Research Journal (2018)
- Lawyer of the Year, Law Week Colorado, 2017
- Ranked in Chambers USA
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Elite Boutique Trailblazer, The National Law Journal, 2017
- Colorado Super Lawyers, 2014-2018
- Top 100: 2015, Colorado Super Lawyers
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation (2017, 2018)
- Local Litigation Star in Colorado – Plaintiff, Benchmark Litigation, 2014
- Colorado Rising Stars, 2010-2013