Mike advises clients throughout the west on estate planning, business planning and related tax planning. His tax planning practice covers estate and gift tax and generation-skipping transfer tax, charitable planned giving and charitable foundation planning, and business and personal income tax planning, with a particular emphasis on estate and income tax issues relating to clients moving into and out of Washington.
Mike works with owners of closely held businesses and serves as outside counsel for private companies. He advises regional and national financial institutions regarding fiduciary administration, merger and litigation issues. He also advises business owners on general business planning and family wealth succession strategies, including buy-sell agreements, family limited partnerships and limited liability companies and subchapter S corporation planning. Additionally, he advises executors of probate estates and trustees of revocable living trusts and irrevocable trusts.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Mike was a principal at Riddell Williams. He previously served an Assistant Professor of Law at the Indiana University School of Law in Bloomington, Indiana, where he taught tax, estate planning and related courses. Mike began his legal career as an associate in the San Francisco office of a national law firm.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Mike drafts and comments on legislation and regulations relating to Washington’s probate, trust and estate tax laws. He recently led the drafting committee for Washington's version of The Uniform Trust Decanting Act. Mike is also active in the charitable planned giving community.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Chambers High Net Worth (HNW) as a "Leader in the Field” in Washington for Private Wealth Law (2019)
- Named among “The Best Lawyers in America - Lawyers of the Year” for Trusts and Estates Law (2019)
- Named a leading individual in Private Wealth Law by Chambers USA (2016-2017)
- Named Seattle Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America (2017)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Trusts and Estates in Washington by Best Lawyers (2007-2020)
- Named a "Washington Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters (2003-2019)
- Named among the "Top 100 Washington Super Lawyers" by Thomson Reuters (2013)
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®