Michael is a commercial lawyer whose practice focuses primarily on the representation of public and private business owners, municipal entities and creditor groups in matters involving business, financial and real estate transactions, debt restructuring, workouts, bankruptcies, dispute resolution, and other complex commercial matters.
He is a seasoned practitioner who employs a practical approach to develop creative solutions to address the needs of business owners of all types, especially financially distressed companies and their lenders, vendors, and owners.
Practicing since 1981, Michael has handled successful resolutions of complex situations involving a large cross section of the American economy, including casino, industrial, health care, telecom, manufacturing, real estate, broadcasting and other business interests in and out of bankruptcy.
Recent notable representations:
- Chapter 11 debtors Revel AC, Inc. and its affiliates as owners of the Revel Casino Hotel in Atlantic City in their 2014 Chapter 11 case (“Revel 2”) and Atlantic Broadcasting;
- Steering committee of lenders for Revel Atlantic City in its 2013 pre-packaged Chapter 11 case (“Revel 1”)
- Bondholders committee for the Claridge Casino Hotel
- Unsecured creditors’ committees for Garces Restaurant Group, Inc., Fontainebleau Las Vegas Holdings, Rockaway Bedding, Custom Food Products, PBI Regional Medical Center, Network Access Solutions and 15-35 Hempstead Properties and Burke Industries.
Additionally, Michael has represented individual creditors in the bankruptcy cases of Delphi Automotive, Trump Entertainment, The Sands Casino Hotel, President Casinos, The Glass Group, and Anchor Glass Products; trustees for AM Communications, English Equestrian Group, Forest City Automotive, and Miller Harness Company; and both secured creditors and debtors in complex foreclosures of commercial real estate.
Michael previously served as the Managing Partner of the firm's Atlantic City office and is a member of the Executive Committee. He is former member of the Lawyers Advisory Committee for the Bankruptcy Courts in the District of New Jersey and is a past chair of the Chapter 11 subcommittee. He is a court-approved Certified Bankruptcy Mediator.
Before Fox Rothschild
Michael worked in the Federal Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. In law school at the University of Richmond, he was a member of Phi Delta Phi and the Law Review. His undergraduate degree is in economics from the University of Virginia.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Michael is an adjunct professor of business law at Stockton University in New Jersey. He is also active in his community and has served on various public and private boards and community organizations. He currently serves on the boards of the Greater Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce, the Southern New Jersey Development Council and the Atlantic County Economic Alliance, where he is Vice Chair. Michael served on the board of the Atlantic-Cumberland Chapter of the American Red Cross from 1999 to 2006 and as chair from 2005 to 2006. He was elected in 2008 to the Board of Education for the City of Northfield, New Jersey. He also has served on the Environmental Commission for the City of Linwood, New Jersey, where he now resides, and as a United Way coordinator.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated*
- Selected to the "Super Lawyers" list for Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights in New Jersey (2010)*
- Selected to the "Super Lawyers - Corporate Counsel Edition" list for Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights in New Jersey (2010)*