Michael is a member of Fox’s Corporate practice. For more than 35 years, he has represented clients ranging from sole proprietorships to publicly held corporations in a wide variety of industries pursuing transactions including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and commercial arrangements. With a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, Michael has represented both buyers and sellers (strategic and financial) in many platform and add-on transactions.
A former co-chair of the Firm’s Emerging Companies Practice Group, Michael also has advised a variety of early stage technology-oriented businesses on capital formation, where he has an extensive background handling private placements, venture capital transactions and public offerings. He has acted as securities counsel for companies subject to the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Michael often fills the role of an “outside general counsel” for early stage and middle market companies, providing advice on business formation, shareholders, partnership and operating agreements, as well as employment agreements and a wide range of commercial agreements, including licensing, supply and distribution agreements.
Among the transactions in which Michael has participated:
- Multiple strategic acquisitions by a publicly held human resources service provider of complementary businesses
- Multiple strategic acquisitions of brokerage firms and investment advisors by publicly owned insurance industry conglomerate
- Multiple strategic acquisitions by a privately owned highly regulated provider of certification services to the gaming industry as well as outside counsel regarding possible private equity based investment in the company
- Multiple strategic acquisitions by a private equity backed provider of court-reporting and other litigation support services
- Multiple transactions by an international private equity fund, including divestitures and recapitalizations
- Multiple rounds of venture capital financings (both equity and debt), recapitalizations and multiple strategic acquisitions by a developer of network performance monitoring software
- Multiple rounds of venture capital financings (both equity and debt) and multiple strategic acquisitions by, and sale through an auction process to a strategic acquirer of, a provider of recordkeeping and administrative services for retirement plans
- Outside general counsel to a privately owned consumer products company following its emergence from bankruptcy and representation of the company in its sale to a private equity fund through an auction process
- M&A transaction counsel to an animal health clinical research organization in its sale to an international strategic buyer seeking an entrance point to the United States markets
- M&A transaction counsel to a specialty steel products manufacturer in its sale to a strategic buyer through an auction process
- M&A transaction counsel to a specialty chemical manufacturer to a private equity backed strategic buyer
- Counsel to a private equity fund in multiple control investment transactions
- M&A counsel to a private equity fund in a platform acquisition of a commercial door manufacturer
- Counsel to an independent sponsor in its initial investment transaction
- Organization of a commercial real estate joint venture and related refinancing
- M&A transaction counsel to a multinational owner and operator of electrical supply houses in its purchase of a regional chain of electrical supply houses
- M&A transaction counsel to a privately owned Internet-based pharmaceutical market research company in its sale to a publicly held multinational media, advertising and marketing conglomerate
- Formation of a strategic alliance between a multinational pharmaceutical company and a privately owned developer of proprietary drug delivery systems and related licensing and equity investment transactions
- Formation of a joint venture between a regional hospital system and a publicly owned owner and operator of health care facilities for the development of multiple ambulatory surgery facilities and related private placement
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Michael currently serves on the Board of Trustees for the New Jersey Chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) and is chair of ACG-New Jersey at Princeton.
Michael also serves on the Board of Trustees for Save Ellis Island, which is dedicated to the rehabilitation of the unrestored buildings on the south side of Ellis Island.
Michael also serves on the Board of Trustees for Hopewell Basketball Association, a community based recreational basketball organization.
Michael previously served on Law360’s 2016 Mergers & Acquisitions Editorial Advisory Board.
Michael previously served as the president of the Board of Trustees of the Association for Advancement of Mental Health in Princeton and as president of the Board of Trustees of Adath Israel Congregation in Lawrenceville, New Jersey.
For several years, Michael was a member of the Hopewell Township Economic Development Commission.
Emerging Companies Insider
The Emerging Companies Insider Blog focuses on recent and developing areas of the law affecting startup and emerging growth companies and their investors, including choice of entity, shareholders’ agreements, issuance of equity to employees, preparing for and executing a capital raise, exit strategies and the JOBS Act and its impact on how companies can and should raise capital from investors.
Practical Advice (pdf files)
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the "Top Deal Maker" list by Business News New Jersey (2002)