Michael centers his practice on complex bankruptcy and insolvency matters, with a particular emphasis on representing Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 trustees in estate administration in New Jersey, New York and Delaware. His clients also include creditors – prominent financial institutions and loan servicers – as well as creditor committees and debtors in all phases of the bankruptcy process. Michael has deep experience in adversary proceedings and other bankruptcy-related litigation and has facilitated the administration of millions of dollars in assets and claims.
Michael is adept at finding creative solutions to difficult problems. In trustee cases, he has earned a reputation for uncovering fraudulent conduct and tracking down hidden assets. Always focused on maximizing return for the estate or recovery for creditors, Michael uses innovative arguments and his deep knowledge of the Bankruptcy Code to optimize the client’s position going into any negotiation.
In a niche practice, Michael has developed a particular fluency in issues related to student loans in the bankruptcy context and in other litigation. He represents student loan servicers as creditor in bankruptcy court and in defending claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. Michael has also written and spoken on this and other bankruptcy-related topics.
An active member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, Michael is currently a Contributing Editor of the ABI Journal, overseeing the “Trustee Talk” column, and previously served for several years as an Associate Editor. He also serves on the advisory board for the ABI’s Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Conference and is a member of the ABI’s Circuit Court Opinion Editorial Board.
- New Century Transportation – Representation of Chapter 7 trustee for a national shipping and logistics company. Played a leading role in winding down the debtors’ operations, liquidating more than $50 million in assets and prosecuting dozens of avoidance actions, among other issues.
- Sears – Representation of a number of creditors, including landlords.
- ASHinc Corp. – Representation of liquidating trustee / plan administrator with respect to post-confirmation claims and issues in a case involving tens of millions of dollars.
- Voyager Learning Co. – Representation of the unsecured creditors committee for a former operator of learning centers. The case involves nuanced “rabbi” trust issues.
- AMG International, Inc. – Represented largest unsecured creditor in highly contested issues involving international law.
- Spectrum Alliance, LP – Represented hedge fund in purchase of over $65 million in real estate from a chapter 11 debtor.
- Couples Cruise, Inc. – Represented Chapter 7 trustee in liquidation of a prominent “alternative lifestyle” cruise company.
- Haas Environmental – Represented Chapter 7 trustee in liquidation in a converted chapter 11 case of an environmental remediation company with locations and assets throughout the country.
- Basic Line, Inc. – Represented Chapter 11 and later Chapter 7 trustee in wind down and liquidation of plastics manufacturer, the maker of Yaffa Blocks.
- Topps Meat Company, LLC – Represented chapter 7 trustee in liquidation of a large meat distributor.
- Linens ’N Things – Represented Chapter 7 trustee in liquidation of national retailer.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Michael serves as an ad hoc member of the Board of Trustees for the Kessler Foundation, a leading organization in researching treatments for spinal and neurological injuries and conditions. He also participates in the annual Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition as a brief grader.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Michael was an attorney at a leading insolvency boutique. He also previously worked at firms in New Jersey and New York, where he represented clients in both bankruptcy and litigation matters.
In law school, Michael was a notes and comments editor for the Brooklyn Journal of International Law.
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the "Super Lawyers - Rising Stars" list for Bankruptcy Law in New Jersey (2014-2018, 2020)*
- Recipient of Prince Merit Scholarship at Brooklyn Law School