Pete combines a deep understanding of bankruptcy law, secured transactions and litigation to provide clients with tailor-made financial strategies.
He has represented and advised clients in virtually all aspects of insolvency, including workouts, assignments, receiverships, bankruptcy and related litigation.
He regularly represents:
- creditors’ committees
- financial institutions
- equipment lessors
- trade creditors
Pete represents clients in a range of industries, including construction, health care, lending, service contract administration, manufacturing, real estate, retailing, wholesaling, collectibles, jewelry, furniture, trucking, and biotechnology.
His experience includes the development of workout strategies for debtors and creditors, the formulation and consummation of plans of reorganization, the sale of assets in distressed situations, the litigation of contested matters in state and federal courts and appellate representations before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Pete’s recent representations include:
- Equiguard, Inc., an extended service contract administrator, in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- The Chapter 7 Trustee of The Kirk Corporation, one of Chicagoland’s largest homebuilders
- ABC-NACO Inc., a publicly traded Chicago-based railroad parts manufacturer, in the Chapter 11 auction sale of its assets and the subsequent wind down of its affairs
- Bachrach Clothing, Inc., a national clothing retailer, in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy and the going concern auction sale of its assets
- A publicly traded jewelry retailer in an out-of-court workout of trade debt exceeding $40 million
- Florsheim Group, Inc., a national shoe retailer with 165 locations in its Chapter 11 case and related disputes with landlords and attorneys general over subsequent store closing sales
- Defense of a publicly traded biotechnology company in an arbitration that resulted in a denial of claims totaling $20 million for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and deceptive business practices
- Capital Factors, Inc. in the affirmance of its successful challenge to the payment of critical vendors in the Kmart bankruptcy
Before Fox Rothschild
Pete was a member of Shaw Fishman Glantz & Towbin LLC, which merged with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
- Named an "Illinois Leading Lawyer" by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2018)
- Named an "Illinois Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine
- Named among the Best Lawyers of America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights and Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2019)