Peter is Co-Chair of the firm’s 200-attorney Corporate Department. His practice spans a wide variety of corporate matters, both domestic and international, including:
- mergers and acquisitions
- private equity transactions
- corporate finance
- joint ventures
- insurance and reinsurance transactions
Ranked as a leading attorney by Chambers USA, Peter has worked on several hundred transactions throughout his career. He also provides general corporate representation to many public and private companies, with a particular focus on advising European companies entering the U.S. market.
Recently, Peter served as the lead outside counsel on four of the 50 largest M&A transactions as listed in the Philadelphia Business Journal. The combined enterprise value of those transactions was more than $2 billion.
Peter also serves as Chair of the firm's International Practice Group. He is a past Chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group and a former member of the Executive Committee, the firm’s governing body.
Before Fox Rothschild
While previously serving as the Chair of the International Practice Group at an Am Law 20 law firm, Peter was the architect of the first-ever acquisition of a European law firm by a U.S. law firm with which it had no prior affiliation. This historic acquisition received extensive press coverage in both the United States and Europe. Immediately prior to joining Fox, Peter was an equity partner at DLA Piper.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
In 2005, the President of the Republic of France, Jacques Chirac, bestowed upon Peter the title of Chevalier (Knight) of the French Legion of Honor. The French Legion of Honor, which was established by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802, recognizes eminent service to the Republic of France and is the country's most prestigious award.
In addition to Georgetown University, Peter studied at the University of Dijon in France and The Hague Academy of International Law in the Netherlands.
Peter is also very active in the community. He is Chairman of the Board of Trustees of The Pennington School, a private, secondary school near Princeton, New Jersey. For 16 years he served as President of the Philadelphia Chapter of the French-American Chamber of Commerce. In addition, Peter serves on the Board of Directors of London Life Reinsurance Company and the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation, Inc. Over 10 years, he also served multiple terms as Co-chair of the International Law Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
International travel is one of Peter's passions and his current goal is to attain membership in the Travelers' Century Club by traveling to at least 100 countries. To date, he has visited 84 countries.
Peter maintains the world’s largest private collection of letters written by and furniture owned by Joseph Bonaparte, the elder brother of Napoleon Bonaparte. Joseph was at one time King of Naples and later King of Spain. Peter recently curated an exhibition of his Bonaparte collection, which was profiled in The New York Times. Peter also appeared in a television documentary, “Bonaparte’s Retreat,” which has aired many times on PBS.
Peter is also very active in philanthropic initiatives. In March 2014, he participated in a medical mission to Haiti in conjunction with The Pennington School and in July 2014 and July 2015 participated in medical missions to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in conjunction with the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation.
Peter's prior experience includes representing:
- A NYSE company in a number of acquisitions and divestitures. The enterprise value of these transactions is in excess of $1.2 billion.
- HSBC Bank in numerous transactions, the value of which exceeded $1.0 billion.
- Harleysville Group Inc. (NASDAQ: HGIC) in its $842 million acquisition by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.
- Subaru of America in the $250 million construction and relocation of its U.S. headquarters, which consists of a new, 250,000-square-foot office building and a 107,000-square-foot training center.
- A logistics company in the international reorganization of the company and the subsequent sale of 55% of its equity to a private equity firm for $60 million.
- The third-largest general labor staffing firm in the United States in its sale to TrueBlue, Inc. (NYSE: TBI) for a base purchase price of $48 million.
- A Midwest IT company in its sale to a Silicon Valley private equity firm for $45 million.
- Novasep, a leading supplier of manufacturing solutions for the life science industries, in the sale of its U.S. subsidiary, TangenX Technology Corporation, to Repligen Corporation (NASDAQ: RGEN) in an all-cash transaction for EUR 37 million (approximately $39 million).
- A bank in a series of rights offering totaling more than $38 million.
- A manufacturer of organic beverages in a series of equity investments, totaling more than $22 million made by private equity investors from Switzerland, The Bahamas, Canada, and the United States.
- A Canadian reinsurance company in a series of acquisitions and divestitures. The enterprise value of these transactions is in excess of $20 million.
- An international specialty freight forwarding and logistics company in a series of transactions including: (1) the acquisition of two companies in England; (2) the formation of a joint venture in Mexico with a Brazilian company; (3) the acquisition of three companies in Mexico; and (4) the acquisition of a United States company that is a leading freight forwarding company for the fine arts industry (terms not publicly disclosed).
- A private equity firm in the acquisition of the assets of an underground utility contractor specializing in the construction of underground sewer, water, and storm sewer pipelines (terms not publicly disclosed).
- A NYSE company in negotiating and drafting a Joint Venture Agreement with a Swiss company (terms not publicly disclosed).
- Healthy Beverage, LLC, a portfolio company of Inventages (a venture capital fund based in The Bahamas), in the sale of 100% of its membership interests to an undisclosed strategic buyer. Healthy Beverage sources and markets organic, fair trade, ready-to-drink green tea based products in 3 product lines: Iced Tea, Energy, and Cactus Water, under the brand “Steaz" (terms not publicly disclosed).
- A private equity firm with its multi-million dollar investment in an award-winning daycare and luxury boarding franchise system for dogs (terms not publicly disclosed).
- A leading New Jersey liquor store retailer in the sale of a 51% ownership interest to a Canadian-based publicly traded liquor retailer (terms not publicly disclosed).
- Reilly Sweeping, Inc. in its sale to Sweeping Corporation of America, a portfolio company of Soundcore Capital Partners, a New York-based private equity firm. Reilly Sweeping is a provider of parking lot and street sweeping services in the Mid-Atlantic region (terms not publicly disclosed).
- A private equity firm in its acquisition of a majority interest in Florida’s premier site developer (terms not publicly disclosed).
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the "Super Lawyers" list for International Law in Pennsylvania (2004-2019)*
- Named to the "Trailblazers" list for Mergers & Acquisitions by The National Law Journal (2016)*
- Awarded the Service Award by the French American Chamber of Commerce (2017)
- Office Deal of the Year Award for the relocation of Subaru of America Inc.’s national headquarters (357,000 s.f.) from the New Jersey Chapter of NAIOP (2016)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Corporate/M&A and Private Equity Law in Pennsylvania (2013-2015)*
- M&A Deal of the Year for the acquisition of Nelson Pipeline by Navigator Partners, Beirne Pipeline Holdings, and Axis Private Equity (2015)
- Awarded the "Best Real Estate Deal of 2015" for the relocation of Subaru of America's national headquarters by Philadelphia Business Journal (2015)*
- Selected to the "Super Lawyers - Corporate Counsel Edition" list for International Law in Pennsylvania (2010)*
- Awarded the title of Chevalier (Knight) of the French Legion of Honor by the President of the Republic of France, Jacques Chirac (2005)
- Awarded the Order of the Tower by The Pennington School (2004)
- Named to the "40 Under 40" list by the Philadelphia Business Journal (2001)*