Rob is the leader of the Transportation & Logistics Practice Group. He represents trucking companies, brokers, logistics companies and their insurance carriers in disputes involving:
- commercial transportation accidents
- federal and state safety regulations
- freight claims
- insurance coverage disputes
He has tried more than 80 cases to jury verdict in the federal and state courts.
For several insurance companies and regional and national motor carriers, Rob serves as national counsel or "quarterback," managing active litigation in 20 to 30 states at any given time.
Rob has developed a team of lawyers versed in the world of freight claims. The terms Carmack Amendment, Himalaya Clause, and on-hand notice are nothing new here. Rob has also obtained acclaim in pursuing cases for his collection of freight charges from shippers, including government agencies.
Transportation contracting is an area where Rob concentrates on reviewing and drafting shipping contracts and tariffs. He has defended brokers in negligent selection cases and is on the forefront of arguments related to federal preemption. Broker liability cases are not unfamiliar territory. Rob has handled some of the most serious and noteworthy broker liability cases in the country.
One of Rob's assets is his ability to advise trucking companies on proactively assessing and addressing risk, both internally and externally, as well as planning for growth and development. He works closely with the firm's Corporate team in this respect.
Independent contractors can be a troublesome area for motor carriers. Rob works with motor carriers to manage contractual relations and negotiate the Federal Regulations and decisions. In association with the firm's Labor & Employment practice, he defends class action litigation brought by contractors and employee drivers related to "Truth in Leasing" cases, Fair Labor Standards and other employment issues. Rob is also well versed in disputes involving owner-operators, including workers' compensation.
In representing the transportation industry, a good portion of Rob's practice is devoted to serving insurance companies, specifically including the defense of catastrophic automobile accidents, and other cases being defended by insurance carriers. Rob and his team have defended through summary judgment in appellate cases regarding the interpretation of the MCS-90 endorsement relating to motor carrier financial responsibility.
Before Fox Rothschild
Rob was a partner and head of the firm's Transportation Industry Group at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which merged with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
After law school, Rob clerked for Judge Joseph F. Anderson Jr. on the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Rob and his wife Robin have seven children. They attend The Church at Cherrydale.
- Graduated first in his class from The Citadel with a 4.0 GPA
- Graduated second in his class at University of South Carolina School of Law
- Received five American Jurisprudence Awards (now CALI), University of South Carolina School of Law
Honors & Awards
- Motor Carrier Insurance Education Foundation, Honorary Member
- Transportation Lawyers Association's Distinguished Service Award, 2011
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, Listed Transportation/Maritime (2009, 2011-2018)
- Named Greenville Best Lawyers Law Lawyer of the Year, Insurance (2014), Personal Injury Litigation (2016)
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America® (Woodward/White, Inc.), Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants, more than 10 years
- Recognized by Chambers and Partners, USA, as one of South Carolina Leaders, General Commercial Litigation (2014-2019)
- Greenville Business Magazine awards
- Legal Elite, Insurance (2013, 2015, 2016, 2018)
- Legal Elite, Transportation (2013, 2015)
- Best and Brightest Under 35 (1997)
- Compleat Lawyer Award, University of South Carolina School of Law, 2001
- Recognized by the South Carolina Trucking Association for efforts in protecting the interests of the Transportation Industry, 2004
- American Trucking Association's Safety and Loss Prevention Council Outstanding Contribution Award, 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell's top ("AV") Peer Review Rating