Justice Edmunds served as an appellate judge for 18 years, most recently as Senior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of North Carolina. Justice Edmunds now serves clients with that same dedication as part of the firm’s Appellate group.
Justice Edmunds helps clients navigate complex criminal and civil appeals in state and federal court. He also protects clients’ interests in constitutional and other high-stakes litigation. Justice Edmunds draws from his breadth of experience in government and the private sector. He is board certified as a specialist in appellate practice, state criminal law and federal criminal law.
- Certified Superior Court Mediator by North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission
- Board Certified Specialist in State and Federal Criminal Law (1993-present)
- Board Certified Specialist in Appellate Practice (1994-present)
- Trained as Arbitrator by American Arbitration Association
Before Fox Rothschild
Justice Edmunds was previously of counsel at Smith Moore Leatherwood, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Justice Edmunds began his legal career as an assistant district attorney in Greensboro, NC, and later was an assistant U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of North Carolina. In 1986, he was appointed U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of North Carolina by President Ronald Reagan and was retained by President George H. W. Bush. Justice Edmunds entered private practice in 1993. In 1998, he was elected to the North Carolina Court of Appeals and served on that court until his election to the Supreme Court.
Justice Edmunds served as a line officer in the U.S. Navy from 1975 to 1977, subsequent to law school.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Justice Edmunds chairs the North Carolina Bar Association Appellate Rules Committee and is a member of the board of directors of BarCares. He is also a member of the North Carolina Supreme Court Historical Society, the Greensboro Rotary Club and the American Law Institute. He served as chair of the Appellate Judges Conference of the American Bar Association 2017-2018. Previously, he has been an adjunct professor at Campbell University School of Law.
Justice Edmunds is a contributing author on this blog, which provides news, information and tips for practicing law in North Carolina’s State and Federal Appellate Courts. Visit the blog.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Chief Justice’s Professionalism Award by the North Carolina Chief Justice's Commission on Professionalism (2019)
- Named to Legal Elite for Appellate Law by Business North Carolina (2018, 2020)
- Recipient, Greensboro Bar Association Distinguished Service Award (2017)
- Recipient, Order of the Long Leaf Pine (2016)
- Recipient, James E. Cross Leadership Award, North Carolina State Bar (2012)