Robert brings more than 12 years of business experience to his law practice, including managing international businesses, business startups and business turnarounds. His practice focuses on bankruptcy and creditors’ rights issues, advising closely held businesses, aerospace companies, corporate acquisitions and related areas of litigation.
Robert has represented creditors (including official creditors committees), financial institutions, secured lenders, debtors and fraud victims in bankruptcy and state courts, and numerous business clients in corporate and contractual matters, including transactions involving amounts in excess of $100 million dollars. The following are representative of Robert’s work:
- Counsel to aerospace manufacturer in negotiating five related contracts for large multi-year supply agreement.
- Represent company named as one of more than 100 defendants in billion dollar bankruptcy litigation.
- Represent company in using secured claim in bankruptcy to force a sale of assets and to purchase all assets of bankruptcy debtor at auction.
- Represent company appointed by bankruptcy court to manage and liquidate approximately $70 million in real estate assets.
- Represent bank in complicated workout of eight related undersecured loans to multiple borrowers with numerous guarantors resulting in payment of all principal and interest.
- Represent bank objecting to bankruptcy discharge of highly compensated debtors resulting in bankruptcy court decision after trial denying discharge due to debtors’ fraudulent transfers.
- Represent large developer in acquiring options from lien holders, and creating assemblage of multiple adjoining commercial properties owned by bankruptcy debtors.
- Represent businesses suffering financial reversals in “wind-downs” to close businesses and pay creditors without filing bankruptcy.
- Represent Official Unsecured Creditors Committee holding millions of dollars in claims against fraudulent real estate venture.
- Represent Official Unsecured Creditors Committee in high tech company bankruptcy resulting in all creditors receiving full payment on their claims, plus interest.
- Represent Official Unsecured Creditors Committee in pursuing claims of improper insider dealing and breach of fiduciary duties against debtor’s former directors and officers.
- Represent investors in startup companies.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Robert was a principal at Riddell Williams, where he served as chair of the Financial Services and Creditors' Rights practice group.
While in law school, Robert was executive editor of the Washington Law Review.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Robert is a board member and past president of Consumer Education and Training Services (CENTS), a nonprofit organization that educates and trains people in financial management and helps individuals prevent and overcome financial hardship. He has also served on numerous other nonprofit boards of directors.
Robert has worked as a pro bono attorney representing victims of political persecution seeking asylum in the United States.
He is a frequent author and presenter at CLE programs on creditor-debtor topics, including bankruptcy and real estate foreclosures.
Robert co-authored a chapter on secured transactions under the Uniform Commercial Code for the Washington Lawyers Practice Manual.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Pro Bono Publico Service Commendations, Washington State Bar Association
- Named a “Washington Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters