Robert has a national practice serving a range of corporate clients in complex and high-stakes litigation involving commercial, indemnity, tort and professional liability claims. He provides strategic advice on management decisions affecting litigation and counsels clients on related business matters.
His clients have included:
- biotechnology companies
- document storages companies
- food companies
- government contractors
- insurance companies
- investment companies
- law firms
- medical billing companies
- medical device companies
- nonprofit organizations
- pharmaceutical companies
- political organizations
- state and federal government entities
- technology companies
- title companies
Robert litigates claims for clients before the courts of the District of Columbia and Maryland, as well as federal district courts nationwide, appellate courts and other state courts. He also guides them in arbitrations and mediations. Robert's track record includes wins and favorable settlements for clients in disputes involving mass disaster torts, the False Claims Act, consumer protection claims, shareholder disputes and derivative actions, senior executive compensation agreements, patents, IT contracts, professional liability and malpractice claims, noncompete agreements, securities and government contractor disputes.
Robert has managed the nationwide defense of all single-plaintiff employment litigation matters for a national retail company. His recent intellectual property cases have involved generic pharmaceuticals, medical devices, industrial monitoring systems, mobile tactical local area networks and computer diagnostic systems, among others. Throughout his career, he has worked extensively with expert witnesses in multiple matters and disciplines.
- Obtained dismissal of Delaware class action on behalf of national retailer defendant in a wrongful death and personal injury case involving thousands of workers injured in a foreign factory building collapse
- Defense of national retailer in District of Columbia consumer protection action alleging misrepresentations in corporate social responsibility statements
- Obtained dismissal of District of Columbia consumer protection claims alleging deceptive labeling on behalf of food producers and distributors
- Prosecution of multimillion-dollar breach of contract claims against biologics manufacturer of military vaccine products on behalf of government contractor
- Defense of multiparty shareholder derivative action challenging stock option valuation in Delaware Chancery Court, resulting in negotiated buyout of dissident shareholders
- Defense of investment company and its principals in SEC investigation on collateralized mortgage obligations
- Defense of False Claims Act allegations in multiple cases for a government contractor, a medical billing company, and a national office supply distributor, resulting in two dismissals of all claims and one favorable settlement
- Defense of honey producers and packers in consumer protection and class action claims relating to alleged deceptive labeling on food products. Defenses include issues of federal preemption, primary federal jurisdiction and the reasonable and ordinary meaning of certain labeling terms, including “natural” and “pure.”
- Defense of rail track circuit component manufacturer in multimillion-dollar damage claims resulting from multiple fatality District of Columbia Metro train accident
- Defense of complex damage allegations and personal injury claims in separate matters against environmental consulting company and electric utility service company involving alleged toxic chemical exposure and electrocution injuries
- Prosecution of breach of trade secret action against former president of generic pharmaceutical company resulting in significant settlement payment to company
- Defense of government contractor clients in several actions alleging multimillion-dollar breaches of employment and corporate ownership agreements by former executives
- Retention as an expert witness on reasonable attorney’s fees in defamation action between two physicians in D.C. Superior Court
- Successful prosecution of $16 million of claims and counterclaim defenses in arbitration of hospital information technology outsourcing contract
- Defense of arbitration of attorney’s fee claim against District of Columbia law firm resulting in complete defense verdict
- Represented the FDIC and the Resolution Trust Corporation on a variety of matters, including contract claims, employment disputes, asset sales and professional liability claims involving the directors of a failed savings and loan, and has supervised a series of professional liability investigations involving allegations of insider and contracting fraud.
- Represented a national association of state government agencies on attorney-client and work product discovery disputes and in defense of breach of contract claims.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Robert was a member of the business litigation group at LeClair Ryan.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Robert is the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Falls Church Homeless Shelter.