Sam provides strategic guidance to his clients to assist them in protecting and growing their intellectual property and brands. He handles litigation involving patent, trademark and advertising matters as well as licensing and contract disputes. Sam also advises companies on IP issues covering patent and trademark portfolio development, brand protection, competitive advertising, patent landscaping/freedom-to-operate studies, IP due diligence and contract negotiations.
Sam has successfully represented clients from many industries — telecommunication, software, bio-tech, medtech, retail, manufacturing, entertainment, media and finance — as well as startup entities facing high stakes IP litigation and transactional matters across the country.
- Manages Select Comfort Corporation’s patent and trademark portfolio, brand protection efforts and IP-related contract negotiations. Represents the company in patent, trademark and false advertising litigations. Scored a landmark extension of the Noerr-Pennington doctrine in Minnesota, immunizing the client’s demand letter from tort claims.
- Represented Myriad France AG in several IP lawsuits across the country. Secured a $14 million cash settlement for the company in an IP litigation in the Northern District of California the day before trial was scheduled. Secured a favorable defense settlement in a licensing and copyright lawsuit in Seattle after securing a 12(b)(6) dismissal of the majority of the plaintiff’s complaint.
- Represents J Public Relations, Inc. regarding its trademark portfolio, brand protection and contract matters and disputes.
- Represented Qualcomm, Inc. in several patent, trade secret and licensing disputes across the country.
- Represented Carbon Medical Technologies on IP issues involved in an asset purchase agreement.
- Represented Thrombogenics, Inc. in IP and indemnification issues involved in an asset sale.
- Represented Adventrx Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in a bio-tech licensing dispute. After aggressive discovery and motion practice, secured a favorable six-figure settlement for the company.
- Represented Kyocera Corporation in patent litigation. Scored an unprecedented venue transfer out of the patent troll’s home forum in Virginia to Kyocera’s home forum in California.
- Represented Pulse~LINK in three offensive patent and false advertising lawsuits in the Southern District of California involving Ultra-Wideband communications technology.
- Represented AmeriCredit, Corp. in a disputed software licensing and development agreement relating to auto finance software.
- Represented KITCO, Inc. in arbitration and state court litigation involving an asset sale and earn-out provision.
- Represented Ronald A. Katz Technology Licensing, L.P. in multidistrict patent litigation.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Sam was a partner at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP.
During law school, he was a law clerk to the Honorable David R. Thompson of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and to the Honorable Barry Ted Moskowitz of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Sam represents Holocaust survivors pro bono in applying for reparations from the German government.