Shahnam has experience in preparing and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications in a wide range of technologies, including chemistry, pharmaceuticals, pharmacology, biotechnology, medical diagnostic and cosmetic products and nanotechnology. He has handled many appeals before the U.S. Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences. His practice also includes counseling clients; preparing patentability, validity and infringement opinions; patent reissue and reexamination practice; and drafting intellectual property agreements.
He is a Regulatory Affairs Certified (RAC) professional and advises clients on FDA regulatory matters, marketing and advertising strategies for drug, food and dietary supplement products.
Shahnam has prosecuted more than 1,000 patent applications nationally and internationally. He recently secured the following patents:
- Non-antibiotic intervention of chlamydial infection
- Patent No. 7,863,335
- Patches for teeth whitening
- Patent No. 7,862,802
- Functionalized phenolic esters and amides and polymers therefrom
- Patent No. 7,858,077
- Drug-polymer conjugates coupled to a peptidic carrier
- Patent No. 7,846,893
- Method and device for teeth whitening using a dry type adhesive
- Patent No. 7,785,572
- Bioabsorbable and biocompatible polyurethanes and polyamides for medical devices
- Patent No. 7,772,352
- Method and devices for rapid diagnosis of foot-and-mouth disease
- Patent No. 7,732,145
- Combinations of DnaK inhibitors with known antibacterial agents
- Patent No. 7,498,307
- Spinning cold plasma apparatus and methods relating thereto
- Patent No. 7,367,196
- Anti-prostate cancer composition and therapeutic uses therefore
- Patent No. 7,250,180
Before Fox Rothschild
Shahnam was a Patent Examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, where he managed an extensive portfolio including pharmaceutical and diagnostic compounds and compositions. He evaluated U.S. and international patent applications for novelty, obviousness, enablement, written description and definiteness.
Prior to entering the legal field, Shahnam was a research associate with Kendle International, where he monitored FDA-required regulatory and clinical data during the Celecoxib clinical trials.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Shahnam is a licensed pharmacist in Maryland.
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the "Super Lawyers - Rising Stars" list for Intellectual Property Law in New Jersey (2013)*