Fox attorneys counsel regional, national and international sports teams, arena operators, governing bodies and leagues, collegiate athletic associations, athletic foundations, local governments, sponsors, media organizations and others on matters ranging from intellectual property and licensing to multimillion-dollar sponsorship deals and real estate.
Our team assists sports clients with the concrete and the virtual – athletic and entertainment facility development, brand marketing initiatives, facility contracts, game development, leasing issues, mobile applications, sponsorship agreements (including naming rights) and a host of legal issues. With our globally recognized gaming law practice, Fox attorneys also have a particular fluency in issues involving promotions, contests, campaigns and sweepstakes, including those in both traditional and social media platforms.
Our attorneys are active in leading associations and organizations in the legal profession that are geared towards sports law, including the Sports Lawyers Association and the American Bar Association's Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries.
Many of our attorneys have personal experience as athletes, performers and agents that fuels their intimate knowledge of the industry. Immersed in the field for decades, we know what drives the sports industry. On top of emerging trends, and well versed in the sports industry’s history, we understand the daily decisions and challenges facing the owners, executives and managers of sports clubs, associations, governing bodies and teams.
Our sports industry attorneys have represented:
- The Atlantic Coast Conference in a wide range of matters, including:
- Complex litigation, including antitrust, commercial, and tort as well as class actions and/or multidistrict litigation regarding well-publicized issues such as limitations on student-athlete scholarships, conference realignment, name-image-likeness matters, and concussion claims.
- Corporate/transactional matters, including general business guidance, governance, risk management guidance and contracts including media, venue, and event agreements.
- NCAA regulations
- Intellectual property, including trademark registrations, renewals, licenses and protection
- Employment law, including matters involving business/commercial issues, independent contractor and right to control issues, EEOC claims, and litigation.
- Non-profit law
- Tax law
- Real estate
- Athletic conferences and individual universities in various corporate and litigation matters
- Professional and amateur sports organizations in football, baseball, and soccer in matters ranging from general corporate transactions and daily business operations to tort cases and IP/trademark litigation.
- National Governing Bodies on antitrust review, internal corporate investigations and commercial litigation
- The Philadelphia 76ers of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and its D-League affiliate, the Delaware 87ers. Advised on:
- Ticket sales and game promotion programs across multiple media platforms
- Fan loyalty programs
- Corporate sponsorships
- Strategic brand-building partnerships and initiatives
- The Philadelphia 76ers and the New Jersey Devils National Hockey League (NHL) franchises, in a deal with partypoker.com to become the first major U.S. professional sports teams to execute an online gaming sponsorship.
- Negotiated the necessary contracts and licensing agreements with bid teams from London; Paris and Limerick, Ireland to bring Gay Games X to Paris in 2018.