Stanley’s practice involves a broad range of transactional and general advisory tax law matters, with a focus on international tax issues. Stanley also represents clients in tax audits.
Publicly Traded Companies
- Advised a U.S. consolidated group owned by a British publicly traded energy company on consolidated return issues.
- Advised a French publicly traded manufacturing company on restructuring ownership of non-U.S. subsidiaries held indirectly through a U.S. subsidiary.
- Advised a U.S. subsidiary of a Japanese publicly traded e-commerce company on sales tax obligations and audits.
- Represented a Chinese publicly traded pharmaceutical company in connection with acquiring a U.S. target.
- Advised U.S. publicly traded companies on tax-free spin-offs and mergers (deal values up to several billion dollars).
- Advised a U.S. publicly traded energy company on disposition of foreign assets and repatriation of proceeds.
Privately Held Companies
- Represented purchasers and targets in connection with taxable and tax-free, domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions (deal values approximately $20 million to $500 million).
- Drafted tax and related provisions of operating agreements of partnerships and limited liability companies.
- Advised domestic companies in connection with tax-free spin-offs.
International Tax Planning
- Advised foreign persons on structuring inbound investments and establishing domestic operations.
- Advised U.S. persons on structuring outbound investments and establishing foreign operations.
- Advised companies on accounting method audits, penalty abatements, voluntary disclosures and sales tax audits.
- Represented clients in disputes arising under tax sharing agreements.
- Advised companies on various accounting method issues.
- Represented debtors and unsecured creditors’ committees in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented student loan guarantor in connection with securitization of student loans.
- “Tax Reform's Likely Impact On Domestic M&A” – Law360 – 2018
- “Tips on Drafting Tax Equalization Agreements” – Tax Notes – 2017
- “What Founders Should Know About Tax Planning for an Exit” – Law360 – 2016
- “Investment Assets in Corporate Separations” – Tax Notes – 2015
- “Tips on Drafting Tax Sharing Agreements” – Tax Notes – 2014
- “Is IRS Pre-Clearance of Accounting Method Changes Really Necessary?” – Tax Notes – 2013
- “What Taxpayers Always Want To Know About Accounting Method Changes” – Taxes: The Tax Magazine – 2012
Honors & Awards
- Named to Super Lawyers’ New York Metro Rising Stars (2012-2017)
- Recipient of the Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Award (2009-2012, 2017)
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Stanley worked as an associate in the Tax Departments of two international law firms.