Steve brings a practical and business-oriented approach to solving complex environmental problems throughout the nation. These matters often involve multiparty cleanup projects under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA).
Steve also represents clients in environmental matters involving:
- Air, water and waste permitting, compliance and enforcement
- Brownfields redevelopment
- Private cost recovery and contribution actions
Steve has served in a variety of leadership positions within PRP groups, including Group Counsel, Group Chair, De Minimis Group Counsel and Allocation Committee Chair.
He has developed keen business insight through his participation as an investor in the startup and management of several companies, giving him hands-on experience and appreciation for the business owner's perspective. As a result, clients often involve him in corporate matters such as organization, governance, acquisitions, exit strategies and contractual issues. He has particular knowledge of companies engaged in the recycling of scrap metal, plastic and electronics.
Before Fox Rothschild
Steve previously served as Managing Partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Steve serves on the board and is a past President of Piedmont Land Conservancy. He is also a former president of NC Beautiful.
Honors & Awards
- Named one of the leading environmental attorneys in North Carolina by Chambers and Partners USA (2005-2019)
- Selected by his peers as Greensboro Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year for Environmental Law (2012, 2013, 2015)
- Included in a list of North Carolina Super Lawyers for Corporate (2010), Real Estate (2010) and Environmental (2007-2013)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Environmental Law and Litigation-Environmental in North Carolina by Best Lawyers, listed more than 25 years
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Named to the Legal Elite Hall of Fame for Environmental Law by Business North Carolina (2010)
- Recipient, North Carolina Bar Association Citizen Lawyer Award (2012)