Steve is a partner at the firm with extensive civil and criminal litigation experience.
He has tried cases in both federal and state courts, has argued cases in the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the North Carolina Supreme Court and has represented numerous professionals before their licensing boards. In doing so, Steve has obtained Martindale-Hubbell's top "AV" Peer Review Rating and has been included in North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine and Business North Carolina's Legal Elite.
Steve's commercial litigation experience includes cases involving price fixing, class actions, real estate transactions and the defense of professionals and their firms in malpractice matters. In addition, he represents professionals before their licensing boards. Clients include companies and individuals involved in civil business litigation, government regulatory matters, false claims act cases, internal investigations, grand jury investigations, professional licensure disciplinary proceedings and criminal matters. His clients are frequently involved in simultaneous criminal, civil and regulatory investigations.
- Defended WakeMed Hospitals in the settlement of criminal and civil investigations by the U.S. Government. No. 5:12-CR-398-BO
- Defended the former in-house counsel for Blackwater in a case that required a top secret security clearance. No. 2:10-CR-00008-FL [DE 350]
- Defended a former Vice President of a major polyester staple producer in a price fixing civil class action case. In Re: Polyester Staple Antitrust Litigation, MDL 3:03-CV-01516-RLV.
- Defended two corporate officers of Advance Auto Parts in a federal breach of contract matter related to a real estate transaction.
- Defended two attorneys in a State Bar proceeding regarding allegations of criminal activity by the attorneys during real estate closings. North Carolina State Bar 12 DHC 6.
- Assisted with the representation of a real estate developer in the trial of a civil case regarding non-disclosure of environmental contamination in a commercial real property sale contract. State Properties, LLC v. Ray, 155 N.C. App. 65, 574 S.EA.2d 180 (2002).
- Petitioned for discretionary review and argued before the North Carolina Supreme Court. In Re Baby Girl Anderson, 360 N.C. 271, 624 S.E.2d 626 (2006) (allowing termination of parental rights for nonpayment of child support.)
- Assisted with representation of plaintiffs in a civil arbitration against ALLTEL and then protected the decision of portions of the arbitrators' ruling during an appeal to the North Carolina Court of Appeals. WMS, Inc. v. Weaver, 183 N.C. App. 295, 644 S.E. 2d 567 (2007).
- Served as a member of an arbitration panel in a construction contract dispute.
- Defended an individual in a federal trial regarding allegations of money laundering and bank reporting violations. The case was tried to verdict.
- Represented a minority shareholder in a trial regarding ownership interests in a closely held business dispute.
- Represented multiple clients who have been targets or subjects of grand jury investigations related to public corruption cases, healthcare investigations, and allegations of banking and tax fraud charges.
- Defended a medical practice in Georgia regarding Medicare billing procedures.
- Represented government contractor in a billing investigation.
- Represented numerous clients before the following North Carolina licensing boards: Dental Board, Medical Board; State Bar; Contractors' Board; Accountants' Board; Engineers' Board; Pharmacy Board, and Nursing Board.
- Developing compliance programs and voluntary disclosure decisions for corporate clients.
Before Fox Rothschild
Steve was a partner and chaired the White Collar Litigation Group at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Honors & Awards
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Commercial Litigation (2015-2021); Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2018-2021) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Listed Business Litigation (2012), Criminal Defense: White Collar (2013, 2016-2020)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Litigation (2010, 2011-2012, 2017), Criminal Law (2011-2012, 2014)
- Recipient, Spotlight on Professionalism Award by the Wake County Bar Association (WCBA) and the 10th Judicial District Bar (2017)
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®