Steve has spent his career counseling clients in extraordinarily complex situations and, when trial is the best course, aggressively protecting those clients in court. His role as a trusted adviser and creative problem solver for a variety of businesses, business leaders and professionals has grown his reputation as a high quality lawyer who navigates clients through serious matters.
Steve is an experienced trial lawyer who also brings the business sensibility of having worked as a Certified Public Accountant to bear in each of his cases. His experience with various complex issues is reflected in only a sample of those matters he has tried: corporate dissolutions, charges of securities fraud and improper corporate activity, defending accountants and lawyers in malpractice actions, construction defect cases for owners, developers and contractors and defending automobile manufacturers from massive product liability exposure. Steve's practice also includes experience with a range of cybersecurity and data breach issues, advising clients on the management and protection of sensitive business and personal information.
Before Fox Rothschild
Steve was a partner and Assistant General Counsel and Risk Manager at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which merged with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Prior to law school, Steve worked as a Certified Public Accountant for a multinational accounting firm. He is also a certified civil mediator by the South Carolina Bar Association.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Steve recently served as President of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel. The FDCC is an international legal organization founded to further the principles of knowledge, justice and fellowship and membership is limited to select attorneys who have displayed achievement in their field and leadership in the practice of law.
Honors & Awards
- Named to the South Carolina Lawyers Hall of Fame by South Carolina Lawyers Weekly (2018)
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly's Leadership in Law Award (2012)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2008-2018), "Top 10" (2014), "Top 25" (2013-2015, 2017, 2018), Professional Liability: Defense, Insurance Coverage (2010)
- Super Lawyers Business Edition, Business Litigation (2013-2015)
- Greenville Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year (Woodward/White, Inc.), Professional Malpractice (2014, 2017)
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Woodward/White, Inc.), Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Legal Malpractice Law (Defendants), Construction Litigation, Professional Malpractice Law (Defendants), listed more than 15 years
- Greenville Business Magazine's Legal Elite, Insurance (2012-2018), Business Litigation (2016-2018), Tax and Estate, Construction (2016)
- Chambers USA, South Carolina Leaders, General Commercial Litigation (2010-2019)
- "The Best Lawyers in the Upstate" by Greenville magazine
- Benchmark Litigation, South Carolina Litigation Star (2016-2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell's top (AV) Peer Review Rating