Susan serves as co-chair of the firm’s Employee Benefits & Compensation Department. Her practice focuses on all aspects of employee pension and welfare benefits, as well as related employment, corporate, transactional and tax issues.
Named the 2017 Pittsburgh Lawyer of the Year for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law by Best Lawyers, Susan is well known in the industry for her extensive experience with the design, drafting and administration of qualified retirement plans, including cash balance and traditional defined benefit pension plans, profit sharing and 401(k) plans, ESOPs, and 403(b) tax deferred annuity plans, as well as Section 457 plans, top hat plans, and other deferred compensation arrangements.
She assists clients with resolution of compliance issues through the IRS Voluntary Correction Program and the Department of Labor Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program, with avoidance and correction of prohibited transactions, and with navigating the complexities of the controlled group and affiliated service group rules. In addition, Susan provides guidance with regard to welfare benefit plans, fringe benefit programs, cafeteria plans and COBRA.
Susan is a leader in the firm’s professional development initiatives and has been quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette regarding the firm’s initiatives for women lawyers and mentoring of associates.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Susan has been an instructor in the continuing education programs of Penn State and Robert Morris University. She has authored articles for the Tax Management Compensation Planning Journal and The Pension Actuary. Very active in the community, Susan is a member of the Board of Directors and past president of Carriage House Children’s Center, Inc. and is secretary of the National Council of Jewish Women–Pittsburgh Chapter.
Honors & Awards
- M&A Deal of the Year (From $10MM to $25MM) for the Acquisition of Nelson Pipeline by Beirne Pipeline Holdings partnered with Axis Private Equity (2015)
- Nominated for the Greater Pittsburgh ATHENA Award (2015)
- Named Pittsburgh Lawyer of the Year for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law by Best Lawyers (2015 and 2017)
- Named Pittsburgh Lawyer of the Year for Tax Law by Best Lawyers (2018)
- Selected for inclusion in “Women Leaders in the Law” by ALM (2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Recipient of the Ruth & Jerome Lieber Leadership Award from the National Council of Jewish Women (2010)
- Named among "Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers" in Employee Benefits/ERISA (2009 and 2010)
- Named among the "Best Lawyers in America" in the areas of Employee Benefits, Trusts and Estates and Tax Law (2005-2019)
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2005-2009)
- Named among the “Women in the Profession Leaders" by Pennsylvania Law Weekly and The Legal Intelligencer