With three decades of experience, Terri has worked with all types of health care providers in navigating the many risks and challenges of the rapidly changing health care industry.
Terri has developed a deep understanding of health care laws and regulations to aid health care clients in their compliance efforts and to assist clients who are targets of government investigations. She has regularly advised clients regarding almost every aspect of health care operations, including Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, certificate of need and facility licensure, telemedicine, confidentiality of medical information and HIPAA, medical staff and peer review, advance directives, professional discipline and licensure, risk management, contracting, and operational policies. She is currently working closely with clients to help them deal with the operational challenges presented by COVID-19.
Terri has been involved in strategic planning for many different health care providers, including acute care hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, hospice agencies, home health agencies, continuing care retirement communities, ambulatory surgical facilities, diagnostic centers, laboratories, mobile medical equipment companies and physician practices. She has worked with health care industry clients who seek to provide new or expanded services or acquire regulated equipment to obtain approval through the North Carolina Certificate of Need process.
In addition to her regulatory compliance practice, Terri has handled litigation at the trial and appellate levels, including jury and non-jury trials and arbitration in medical malpractice cases and commercial disputes in state and federal courts, as well as in the Office of Administrative Hearings, where she handles appeals of decisions by Certificate of Need, licensing and other administrative agencies.
Terri has been a regular speaker and presenter on a variety of health care compliance and risk management topics and has spoken at programs sponsored by Leading Age North Carolina, the American Health Lawyers Association, and the Health Care Compliance Association, as well as for individual clients.
Before Fox Rothschild
Terri was Partner in Charge of the Greensboro office of Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Terri is an active member of the Greensboro community. From 2017-2019, she served as Chair of the Board of Trustees of Friends Homes, Inc., a continuing care retirement community. Terri is also involved with the Women's Professional Forum, volunteers her time for the attorney hotline of the Women's Resource Center and is a member of New Garden Friends Meeting.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized among Triad Business Journal Outstanding Women in Business (2018)
- Named to North Carolina Super Lawyers, Listed Health Care (2009 - 2020) and as one of the "Top 50 Women" attorneys in North Carolina (2009, 2018, 2019)
- Named Greensboro Best Lawyers Litigation-Health Care Lawyer of the Year (2019)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Health Care Law (2007 - 2021), Commercial Litigation (2013 - 2021) and Health Care Litigation (2018-2021) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- Named to the “Lawyer of the Year" list in North Carolina for Health Care Litigation by Best Lawyers (2021)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Healthcare - North Carolina (2015-2020)
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®