Thomas is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in International Law, an achievement that signifies the highest level of the competency and experience for attorneys in their particular area of the law. Fewer than 8 percent of all lawyers in Florida are granted Board Certification.
Thomas practices primarily in the area of general corporate law and international business transactions, including private placements, mergers and acquisitions (inbound and outbound), tender offers, in-bound structuring of foreign investments, joint ventures and commercial contracts. His practice also includes corporate and securities work in connection with private placements under the Employment Based Fifth Preference Immigrant Visa Program (more commonly known as the EB-5 Program). He also has substantial experience representing clients in partnership disputes.
Typically, Thomas represents high-net-worth individuals, family businesses, financial institutions, startups, and small to mid-size private companies engaged in cross-border activities, particularly those involving the United States and Latin America. He is fluent in Spanish (both written and spoken).
A former litigator, Thomas brings to his transactional practice the benefit of a significant litigation background. With this experience, he can foresee issues that could potentially lead to litigation and effectively counsel clients when disputes arise in transactional matters.
- Represented offshore holding companies that indirectly, through their ownership interest in various U.S. entities, owned a percentage of vacant lots located in Downtown Miami, Florida, in a stock purchase transaction with a foreign buyer for approximately $18 million.
- Represented assisted living facility operator in the State of Illinois in connection with its approximately $7 million private offerings to foreign investors in accordance with the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program.
- Represent high-net-worth family from Latin American in connection with their multimillion-dollar investments in significant real estate projects in South Florida.
- Represented real estate developer in Miami, Florida in connection with its offshore private offering under “Regulation S” to investors in certain Latin American countries in the amount of approximately $10 million.
- Represented publicly traded U.S.-based Fortune 500 company in connection with the restructuring of its external peso-denominated royalty payments made to its subsidiary in a Latin American country. The transaction was valued at approximately $14 million.
- Represented foreign-owned majority member of a privately held Delaware LLC that owns valuable intellectual property in a successful tender offer of approximately $23 million to the other members and its subsequent corporate reorganization involving the transfer of its assets to its subsidiaries abroad.
- Represent the largest media company in a certain Central American country in connection with its joint venture with another large media company based in Central America for the operation of an internet advertising company in Miami, Florida.
- Represented a Panamanian bank in connection with its multimillion-dollar construction loan to a Colombia-based investment company with a branch in the United States for the construction of stall stables and grooms quarters in Wellington, Florida.
Before Fox Rothschild
Thomas is a former legal intern for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of the Chief Counsel for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, where he tried deportation cases and conducted research for the deputy chief counsel and assistant chief counsels.
Thomas also interned at an international Florida law firm, where he assisted in handling World Trademark Organizations (WTO) decisions and antitrust issues both in the United States and abroad. He also prepared strategy proposals for Fortune 100 companies facing issues associated with Central American dealer protection laws.
Additionally, Thomas served as a legal intern for the Committee of Foreign Relations, Congress of Argentina, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Honors & Awards
- Named a “Top Up and Comer” by South Florida Legal Guide (2020)
- Named an attorney "On the Rise" by the Daily Business Review (2019)