Tom's practice encompasses corporate and business transactions involving intellectual property and technology transfers.
He provides clients with strategic advice on the full range of intellectual property protection for their assets, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets and handles management, licensing and, when necessary, protection of intellectual property rights through litigation and other enforcement actions.
Tom’s practice also includes handling federal government contracts and procurement matters, including GAO protests, defense systems acquisitions, bid protests, contractor claims, data and patent rights, sealed bid and negotiated procurements, procurement fraud, compliance advice concerning the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS), and other agency procurement regulations.
Before Fox Rothschild
Tom was a partner and Practice Area Leader of the Business Group at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Tom currently serves as Vice Chairman of the Greenville Area Development Corporation and previously served as Vice-Chairman of the Greenville County Research & Technological Development Corporation. He was formerly a Patent Examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and member of the Board of Managers of the Carolina Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Law Association.
Tom also provides legal services to charitable organizations regarding patents, trademarks and copyrights, and he previously served as Lieutenant Colonel in the Judge Advocate General's Corps of the U.S. Air Force Reserves.
- Acquisition Attorney, Air Force Material Command Law Office
- Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, Middle District of Florida (1988-1991)
- Air War College, U.S. Air Force
- Air Command and Staff College, U.S. Air Force
- Contract Attorneys Course, The Judge Advocate General’s School of the Army, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Government Materiel Acquisition Course, The Judge Advocate General’s School of the Army, Charlottesville, Virginia
Honors & Awards
- Greenville Best Lawyers Litigation - Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year (2019)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Copyright Law and Intellectual Property Litigation in South Carolina by Best Lawyers (2014-2020)
- Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars edition (2017, 2018)
- Recognized among the “Legal Elite” by Greenville Business Magazine for Intellectual Property (2013-2019)
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly "Leaders in the Law" (2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell's highest (AV) Preeminent Peer Review Rating