Tyreen is a member of the firm's Labor & Employment Department. She advises and represents companies in a broad range of employment law matters including:
- Discrimination and harassment lawsuits
- Wage and hour litigation and counseling
- Class actions
- Trade secrets and non-compete agreements
- Employee terminations
- Administrative proceedings and investigations by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), California Labor Commissioner (DLSE), and San Francisco Office of Labor Standards Enforcement (OLSE)
- Appeals of California Labor Commissioner decisions
- Writs and appeals in state and federal courts
- Leaves of absence and California paid sick leave
- Compliance with San Francisco’s employment laws, including the Health Care Security Ordinance, Paid Sick Leave Ordinance and Fair Chance Ordinance
- Disability accommodations and the interactive process
- Workplace restraining orders
- Drafting employee handbooks, arbitration agreements and personnel policies
- Workplace investigations and trainings
- New employer counseling, including training on applicable employment laws, guidance through the hiring process, and developing personnel policies and benefit programs
Tyreen’s representative successes include:
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer and defeated plaintiff’s appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal in an employment case alleging breach of contract, wrongful termination, race discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer accused of sex and race discrimination, retaliation and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an employer accused of wrongfully denying medical leave, retaliation and harassment.
- Successfully represented numerous employers at hearings before the California Labor Commissioner resulting in dismissal of claims for unpaid wages.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for employer accused of disability discrimination in mediation with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- Successfully represented employers before the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), the EEOC and other state civil rights agencies resulting in dismissal of claims for discrimination and harassment.
- Authored the opening appellate brief in Concepcion v. Amscan Holdings, Inc., in which the Court of Appeals held in client’s favor that it is an abuse of discretion to award attorney's fees and costs in reliance on billing information submitted only for in camera review.
- In a wage and hour class action brought against a small business owner, developed a strategy for minimizing the client's exposure by seeking individual settlements with putative class members and scheduling an early mediation, thus positioning the employer for a favorable settlement at mediation.
Tyreen is the author of Guide to San Francisco Employment Laws, a Fox Rothschild e-book, and co-author of Action Guide: Preparing for Trial, published by the Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB).
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Tyreen was an associate at a boutique employment litigation firm in San Francisco, and clerked at Bay Area Legal Aid and Protection and Advocacy, Inc. She also worked as an admission counselor for Smith College.
While at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, Tyreen served as the Managing Editor of the Berkeley La Raza Law Journal and received the Advocacy Award. As an undergraduate, she participated in international study programs in India and Spain.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Tyreen enjoys interviewing and mentoring prospective college students and attends college fairs and workshops as an admission volunteer for Smith College. In addition, Tyreen is a member of the California Minority Counsel Program’s Programming Committee.
Guide to San Francisco Employment Laws (pdf file)
Honors & Awards
- Named a "Northern California Rising Star" by SuperLawyers magazine (2013-2017)