Alex has more than 30 years of experience assisting domestic and foreign companies with operations throughout the Southeast, advising on day-to-day operations and a wide variety of business transactions.
He has extensive experience in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances for a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, health care and technology.
Alex regularly counsels clients on financing and capital raising transactions, sales and distribution arrangements and assists them with federal and state securities law compliance. He has represented commercial lending institutions and borrowers in a variety of financing transactions. He also has significant experience with counseling health systems and universities in connection with public financing transactions.
- Corporate – Comprehensive experience drafting and negotiating general business agreements, including commercial contracts concerning marketing, manufacturing, product licensing and distribution, often establishing new business entities, in the United States and abroad. Routinely counsels clients on corporate governance and compliance.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Extensive experience handling merger and acquisition transactions. Knowledge of real estate, labor, WARN, ERISA, environmental, Hart-Scott-Rodino and other customary issues arising in the transfer of significant assets.
- Joint Ventures – Extensive experience in structuring and negotiating joint ventures, strategic alliances, and global supply and distribution arrangements.
- Public Finance – Extensive experience representing nonprofit institutions, including health systems, universities and secondary schools in various tax-exempt and taxable financings.
- Finance – Significant experience representing borrowers in all stages of the lending process, from structuring transactions, drafting and negotiating term sheets, to final documentation.
- Securities – Experience with private placements, exempt offerings and venture capital financings.
- Healthcare – Experience financing for hospitals, continuing care retirement communities and other types of providers, and private placement syndication for hospital-physician joint ventures.
Before Fox Rothschild
Alex was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Honors & Awards
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Banking and Finance Law, Antitrust Law (2013-2021) and Corporate Law (2009-2021) in North Carolina by Best Lawyers
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Business (2018)