Bill's work in the estate planning area concerns all aspects of estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax planning, including complex wills and trust arrangements, charitable foundations and various valuation discounting mechanisms.
He assists with leveraging unique planning opportunities associated with closely held family businesses and succession planning.
Bill's experience in the area of employee benefits includes all types of tax-qualified plan arrangements, including pension and profit sharing plans, Section 401(k) plans, ESOPs and ESOP-related financing and stock-purchase transactions. He is also involved extensively with preparing and implementing various forms of non-qualified employee benefit arrangements.
His general tax work includes numerous tax planning opportunities associated with business sales and acquisition, reorganizations and similar matters. Bill also has experience with corporate counseling, wealth and successional planning as well as health care transactional work for physicians and ancillary services companies.
Before Fox Rothschild
Bill was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Chambers High Net Worth (HNW) for Private Wealth Law in South Carolina (2018-2020)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, Estate Planning & Probate (2010-2016), Employee Benefits/ERISA, Tax (2010, 2011)
- Named to the "Lawyer of the Year" list for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2013) and Trusts and Estates (2011, 2014) in South Carolina by Best Lawyers
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law and Trusts and Estates in South Carolina by Best Lawyers (more than 27 years)
- Greenville Business Magazine's Legal Elite, Tax (2013, 2015, 2016, 2020)
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Certified specialist in both estate planning law and taxation law by the Supreme Court of South Carolina
- Martindale-Hubbell's top (AV) Peer Review Rating