Matthew S. Adams
As a member of the firm's Litigation Department, Matthew practices in the areas of commercial civil litigation and white-collar criminal defense. He actively litigates in federal and state courts as well as before administrative agencies, regulatory bodies and in alternate dispute resolution forums throughout the United States.
Matthew has significant experience in emerging issues involving the intersection of the law and technology, including the cutting edge and increasingly relevant areas of social networking, e-discovery and identity theft.
Matthew's business litigation practice includes experience representing individuals and businesses in the prosecution and defense of complex civil actions involving:
Matthew serves as defense counsel to individuals and entities facing criminal charges or pending enforcement action, or who find themselves the target of an investigation by a local, state or federal law enforcement agency, other governmental agency or regulatory body. His recent white-collar defense clients have included:
- A professional athlete;
- Police officers accused of misconduct, including constitutional violations;
- A company investigated for homicide in the aftermath of a fatal industrial accident;
- An individual accused of a federal conspiracy to commit extortion;
- Securities brokers and other financial professionals facing enforcement actions by the SEC and FINRA;
- Targets of a federal tax fraud investigations by the IRS Criminal Investigation Division; and
- Mortgage brokers investigated for federal mortgage fraud in the aftermath of the 2007-2008 financial collapse.
Matthew's largest successes in his white-collar defense practice have come where his clients were investigated, but never prosecuted.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Matthew is a frequent guest lecturer at Seton Hall University School of Law on the topics of e-discovery and trial advocacy.
Matthew also served as an Election Day voter protection attorney in connection with the 2008 presidential election.
Honors and Awards
- Selected as a "Super Lawyers Rising Star" by New Jersey Monthly Magazine (2013)