North Carolina State Bar Board Certified Specialist in Appellate Practice, Beth has briefed and argued cases in both the North Carolina appellate courts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. She has also represented clients before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Beth and Fox colleague Matt Leerberg are the authors of North Carolina Appellate Practice and Procedure, the leading treatise on appellate practice in North Carolina, published by LexisNexis and available in print and on Lexis Advance.
Additionally, Beth assists and counsels attorneys throughout North Carolina in preparing their appeals, complying with rules of appellate procedure and correcting appellate rules violations.
Beth is a founder and contributing author on this blog, which provides news, information and tips for practicing law in North Carolina’s State and Federal Appellate Courts. Visit the blog.
Before Fox Rothschild
Beth was previously of counsel at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018. She is a former law clerk to the Honorable Malcolm J. Howard of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina and to the Honorable H. Emory Widener, Jr., of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
While in law school, Beth was executive notes editor and on the editorial board of Georgia Law Review. She also was a member of the Order of the Coif, was a Presidential Scholar and participated in the University Roundtable Leadership Discussion Forum.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Beth is a member and past chair of the North Carolina Bar Association's Appellate Rules Committee, which recommends changes to the North Carolina Rules of Appellate Procedure to the Supreme Court, publishes appellate advocacy practice guides and seeks to improve the quality of appellate advocacy in North Carolina.
She is a former chair and an inaugural member of North Carolina’s Appellate Practice Specialization Committee, which creates standards and administers exams to determine board-certified specialists in appellate practice. The seven-member committee is comprised of attorneys and judges with extensive experience in appellate practice.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Howard L. Gum Service Award, 2012
- Presented by North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization to a specialty committee member who consistently excels in completing committee tasks
- Included in a list of Super Lawyers in North Carolina for Appellate Law (2014-2021)
- Included in a list of Super Lawyers Top 50 Women Attorneys in North Carolina (2015, 2019-2021)
- Included in a list of Super Lawyers Top 25 Attorneys in Raleigh (2021)
- Included in a list of Super Lawyers Top 100 Attorneys in North Carolina (2021)
- Included in a list of Super Lawyers Business Edition for Appellate Law (2014, 2015)
- Recognized in Business North Carolina's Legal Elite for Appellate Law (2018-2020), Appellate Law Hall of Fame (2021)
- Included in a list of Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, in North Carolina for Appellate Law (2010, 2011, 2013)
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®