Brian represents developers in connection with retail, office, apartment and mixed-use projects. He enjoys addressing the unique set of challenges that each project presents, such as entitlements, restrictive covenants, easements, title defects, environmental contamination, leasing and financing. He serves a broad range of clients including individuals and regional and national developers.
Brian partners with other groups within the firm to advise companies and nonprofit organizations in various industries, including textile, furniture and higher education, regarding real estate matters affecting their operations. He assists operating companies with matters such as leasing, property acquisition, compliance with governmental requirements and real estate secured lending.
He also represents private lenders, community banks, regional banks and life insurance companies in connection with mortgage loans secured by income-producing and owner-occupied properties. He advises lenders on collateral remediation matters such as title defects, defective planned community and condominium documents and foreclosure defects.
- Publix-anchored shopping center in High Point, NC
- Free-standing Publix grocery store in Wilmington, NC
- More than 30 free-standing Walgreens drug stores throughout North and South Carolina during the past 10 years, including both fee-owned and ground-leased sites
- Harris-Teeter-anchored shopping center in Huntersville, NC
- Hooters restaurant ground lease in Kissimmee, FL
- Medical office property acquisition in Nashville, NC
- New Garden Village, a mixed-use planned development in Greensboro, NC
- Representation of a community college in its acquisition of property and development of satellite campus
- Representation of a North Carolina college in connection with a $20 million real estate secured financing
- North Carolina college in connection with its acquisition of apartment community for additional student housing
- National bank following foreclosure to repair defective planned community documents
- Community bank following foreclosure to repair defective condominium documents for an office condominium
- Borrower in connection with multiple Fannie Mae apartment loans in North and South Carolina
- Textile company in connection with $50 million credit facility
- Mixed-use condominium conversion in connection with the development of a Mast General Store and apartments in Winston-Salem, NC
- Condominium conversion of a 150,000-square-foot medical office project
- Mixed-use high rise condominium conversion in Greensboro, NC
Before Fox Rothschild
Brian was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Honors & Awards
- Greensboro Best Lawyers, Land Use & Zoning Law, Lawyer of the Year (2013, 2016)
- Chambers USA, North Carolina Leaders, Real Estate (2009-2015)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Real Estate (2012-2020), Rising Stars Edition (2009-2011)
- Super Lawyers Business Edition, Real Estate (2013-2015)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning Law by Best Lawyers, listed more than 10 years
- Martindale-Hubbell's top (AV) Peer Review Rating
- Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite Hall of Fame, Real Estate (2016)
- Greensboro Board of Adjustment, 2000-2003
- Greensboro Zoning Commission, April 2003-September 2005
- Groceries on Wheels, Volunteer