Co-chair of the firm’s Corporate Department and a member of its Taxation and Wealth Planning Department, Doug focuses his practice on mergers, acquisitions, investments, joint ventures, sales and other transactional and strategic counseling matters for privately-held companies, professional practices and entrepreneurs. He has overseen transactions and counseled clients in the healthcare, retail, consumer goods, accounting, financial services, automotive, commercial real estate and other industries.
As outside general counsel and a trusted advisor, Doug combines business and tax law skillsets to provide strategic, practical advice and solutions to his clients, which include many of the region’s top professional practices and private and family-owned businesses. His ability to quickly learn a client’s operations by immersing himself in its business has played a key role in a variety of successful transactions ranging in size from several million dollars to more than $1 billion.
- Representing one of the nation’s largest registered agent and corporate service providers in a rollup and sale transaction to the nation’s largest provider of such services.
- Representing a multi-state manufacturer, supplier and retailer of custom uniforms in the acquisition of several similar businesses and ultimate sale of the family-owned business to a national competitor.
- Structuring groundbreaking and unique contractual relationships between several regional physician practices and various health systems.
- Handling several merger and joint venture transactions for a regional provider of radiology services and operator of imaging centers.
- Handling a tax-deferred, divisive reorganization of automobile franchises and related financing and real estate matters to facilitate the expansion and development of the client’s retail automotive stores.
- Counseling a software development and consulting firm focused on freight railway systems in its sale to one of the world’s largest consulting firms.
- Counseling on vertical integration and acquisitions for a family-owned print bindery and fulfillment business based in Pennsylvania.
- Advising a distributor of a major American brewing company on the combination of two contiguous wholesale regions in New Jersey and related financing.
- Representing one of Canada’s largest supply chain management companies on the expansion of its business into the United States.
- Representing one of the leading market research and data firms in Europe in its expansion into North America.
- Advising a regional commercial and personal insurance firm on its day-to-day matters, including business expansion, joint ventures and employment matters.
Doug served as Princeton Office Managing Partner for five years, and the firm’s co-hiring partner for nearly 10 years, where he focused on adding and developing talented, client-focused attorneys, many of whom have furthered their skills and advanced to partner under Doug’s leadership.
Before Fox Rothschild
Doug has been with the firm for his entire legal career. Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, he served as a law clerk for the Office of the U.S. Attorney, District of New Jersey, in Trenton, New Jersey. At George Washington University Law School, he was Student Director of the Small Business Clinic.
Doug focused his education – both during law school and through his undergraduate work at Tufts University – on business-related issues, learning and honing skills he developed in his youth as a member of a family that owned successful businesses.
His LL.M. in Taxation from New York University helped further develop and solidify his understanding of the tax, business and estate planning and succession needs of wealthy individuals and families as well as the owners of privately-held businesses.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Doug is a member of the Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Finance Committee and Board Development Committee of The Greenwood House, Home for the Jewish Aged, a provider of quality care and services to seniors in central New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania.
He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the MIDJersey Chamber of Commerce and a former member of the boards of directors of the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Mercer and the Jewish Community Center of the Delaware Valley.
In addition, Doug speaks frequently on choice of entity, structuring joint ventures and business succession and estate planning for business clients and high-net-worth individuals and families.