- Provide a practical and cost-effective approach in order to identify key legal, regulatory and business issues from the outset and achieve specified goals as efficiently as possible.
- General counsel for numerous emerging businesses, overseeing and coordinating intellectual property transfer, finance, securities, regulatory, executive employment and tax matters.
Counsel for Every Stage of Business Life
Fox attorneys advise and support clients not only at the start, but also through all stages of the business cycle. Members of our team have advised clients for a decade or more, initially advising on early stage development and launch, then assisting with growth-focused merger and acquisition opportunities or private or public offerings, and continually serving as outside general counsel. Such longstanding relationships are rewarding for clients and their lawyers.
- Ranked among the top patent firms by IP Today, we know how to handle a company’s lifeblood – its intellectual property.
- Comprehensive approach to assessing, protecting, leveraging and maximizing IP.
- Experienced team of registered patent attorneys and agents, many with advanced and doctoral degrees in numerous distinct and relevant scientific and medical fields.
- Obtained more than 340 issued patents for our clients in 2016, including many in the technology and life sciences industries.
Ensuring the Strength of Your Company’s Bloodline
Our attorneys helped an educational software company develop a strategy for leveraging open source code while still developing a separate code set that remained proprietary. We also supported the company in negotiations and due diligence review in connection with its sale to a company that is a global leader in student learning technology.
- Deep roots in the private equity, angel financing, venture capital, hedge fund and financial services world.
- Track record of connecting companies with capital through our well-established networks.
- Represent private equity funds in raising capital and advise on requisite disclosures and federal and state securities law compliance.
- Assist growth companies in investment banking, accounting, management, private investor and other critical financing relationships.
- Negotiate and document transactions such as equity and debt financing.
- Co-founded and manage Delaware Crossing Investors Group, an angel investor network comprised of executives and entrepreneurs who provide counsel and capital to early stage and growth-oriented companies in a broad array of industries.
Funding Is Fundamental to Our Work
Fox represented Rosemark Capital, a private equity firm founded by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs, in its $23.5 million Series C funding of Jiff, the rapidly growing enterprise health benefits platform, as the company announced the release of Jiff Navigator, a new tool that will help employers facing rising health care costs leverage data analytics and the latest health apps, wearables and programs to manage health benefits and reduce health care spending. The funding includes a strategic investment from GE Ventures, as well as investments from Venrock Associates, Aberdare Partners and Aeris Capital.
Handle wide array of corporate concerns for public and private companies, including:
- Initial public offerings
- Financial and regulatory changes
- Private placements
- Tender and exchange offers
- Securities filings and other securities transactions
- Corporate governance, reporting and compliance issues, including advice to directors, officers and boards of directors
- Federal and state securities law advice and matters
- Equity crowdfunding enabled by the JOBS ACT
IPOs and More: Securities Is Our Business
Fox attorneys served as U.S. company counsel to Clinigen, a specialty global pharmaceutical and services business, in its £135 million U.K. initial public offering.
- Guide clients through M&A transactions from start to successful closing, keeping end goals in mind.
- Counsel for businesses at every level across wide-ranging industries:
- Handle acquisitions and divestitures for hundreds of national and international businesses.
- Represent buyers and sellers of local companies.
- Robust international dimension as much of our deal work involves transactions for foreign companies looking to buy or sell a business in the United States or for U.S. companies expanding abroad.
- Joint ventures to support creative collaboration and product commercialization.
Growing Post-Launch: A Tale of Two Companies
Our Emerging Companies and Venture Capital group represents early stage companies, such as Enantigen Therapeutics, Inc., as well as later-stage, more established companies, including the Clinigen Group. Following are the stories of their relationship with Fox.
Fox attorneys represented Enantigen Therapeutics, Inc., a privately held pharmaceutical company located at the Pennsylvania Biotechnology Center (Center), in its acquisition by OnCore Biopharma, Inc., a biotechnology company focused on the research, development and commercialization of oral treatments for chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection. Fox attorneys are active participants in the Center, with one Fox attorney serving on its board of directors. In recognition of our longstanding commitment to the regional startup community, the Center recently recognized three of our Emerging Companies and Venture Capital attorneys with its Entrepreneur Champion Award.
We advised the Clinigen Group plc (LSE: CLIN), a specialty global pharmaceutical company in its £225 million acquisition of Idis Group Holdings Limited, the leading supplier for ethical on-demand products, with products in more than 120 different countries. Clinigen is the market leader in the $5+ billion unlicensed medicine supplier sector and has a leading position in the $2 billion clinical trial supply market.
Licensing and Technology Transfer
- Leverage a company’s intellectual property through licensing, joint venture or developing relationships and establishing distribution channels.
- Counsel on software and hardware licensing, including licensing, technology service and transfer agreements.
- Decades-long experience representing both research institutions and private companies in technology transfer transactions.
- Understand different needs of two sides in transactions.
- Know that different paths to market are needed depending on the technology.
- Brand licensing that uses franchising, licensing and national and international distribution networks to expand a strong trademark or brand.
Portfolio Development and Licensing
Fox attorneys helped an e-commerce solutions provider develop its patent portfolio and ensure that its software was properly owned and licensed. We also provided IP support to the transaction in which the company was acquired by one of the world’s largest Internet-based retailers.
- Encompasses a broad spectrum of industries, including hospitality, retail and service-based businesses.
- Franchising leads to additional opportunities for a business to grow through licensing its brand and proprietary methods to business owners.
- Deep experience in national and international expansion through franchising and distribution.
Franchising: A Different Doorway To Developing Your Company
After assisting a long-time consumer services client with initial startup and financing, we are now advising and handling regulatory matters for the company’s move into the franchising and distribution arena, which will enable it to expand across multiple states. For some businesses, franchising offers excellent opportunities for next-step growth and expansion. Fox has a particular focus on – and deep connections to – franchising networks.