Kim concentrates her practice in intellectual property prosecution, licensing and litigation. She is also a member of the firm’s Privacy & Data Security group, which assists clients with the management and protection of sensitive business and personal information. She is seen as a trusted advisor and valued team member to her clients, providing comprehensive, global advice from a legal and business perspective.
Kim is a North Carolina State Bar Board Certified Specialist in Trademarks. She prosecutes federal, state and international trademark applications and manages global trademark portfolios. She also prosecutes computer software, business method, mechanical, and design patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and routinely assists clients with protection of copyrights.
In addition, Kim structures complex license agreements for patents, trademarks and copyrights. She is regularly involved in intellectual property litigation and enforcement matters in state and federal courts and within the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Kim also drafts and negotiates agreements for IT transactions, including software development, license and hosting agreements. She advises clients on computer law and e-commerce matters.
As Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, Kim works to develop and implement programs and policies that support the firm’s goals of increasing and promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment at all levels throughout the firm.
- Manages the intellectual property portfolios, including patents, trademarks and licensing, for a large apparel manufacturer
- Negotiated a long term, mission-critical product development, licensing and supply agreement for a specialty textile manufacturer which had developed a revolutionary line of products
- Manages patent and trademark portfolios of various small to medium-sized companies
- Handles software development, hosting and maintenance agreements for numerous software clients
Before Fox Rothschild
Kim was a partner and Practice Area Leader of the Technology Industry Group at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Kim works to help community members achieve a better quality of life. She serves on the board of the United Way of Greater Greensboro and enjoys seeing firsthand how each program and initiative makes a positive impact on the community, focusing on the building blocks of a good quality life: education, income and health. Kim also serves on the board of the Cone Health Foundation which invests in the development and support of activities, programs and organizations that measurably improve the health of people in the greater Greensboro area. Kim is a strong supporter of her alma mater, North Carolina A&T State University, where she serves as Chair of the Board of Visitors.
Kim has also been involved in and held leadership positions with the American Cancer Society, Jack and Jill of America, Inc., The Links, Incorporated - Greensboro Chapter, International Civil Rights Center and Museum, Gateway Gardens, Leadership Greensboro and Future Fund of the Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro.
Kim taught Public Law & Leadership as an adjunct professor at Elon University Law School in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Honors & Awards
- Named an "Outstanding Women in Business" Honoree by Triad Business Journal (2020)
- Recipient of the Distinguished Advocate Award by the Guilford County Association of Black Lawyers (2019)
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD)
- Board Certified Specialist in Trademarks, North Carolina State Bar
- 2015 Recipient of the Outstanding Woman of the Profession Award by the Women’s Law Association at Elon Law School
- Selected by her peers as Greensboro Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year (Woodward/White, Inc.), Patents (2014, 2016)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" list for Intellectual Property Litigation, Patent Litigation, Patent Law and Trademark Law in North Carolina by Best Lawyers (2013-2020)
- Named to "The Best Lawyers - Lawyer of the Year" list for Patent Law (2020)
- 2009 Business Leader Woman Extraordinaire Award
- Named to North Carolina Super Lawyers list, Intellectual Property (2019, 2020)
- Recognized in Business North Carolina's Legal Elite for Intellectual Property (2009, 2011-2020)
- Selected as North Carolina Lawyers Weekly "Leaders in the Law" (2017)
- Greensboro's News & Record People of Influence (2017)
- Named to Triad Business Journal's Forty Under 40 (2003), awarded to the Triad's outstanding young business and community leaders
- Awarded the 2018 Leadership Medal by Leadership Greensboro