Kip has an active appellate practice in both state and federal courts, and holds a certification as an appellate specialist from the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. He has argued before the Supreme Court of North Carolina and the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
He also represents clients in a range of litigation matters, including disputes involving intellectual property, product liability, employment discrimination, breach of contract and subrogation actions.
Mills ex rel. DeBlasio v. Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Inc., --- N.C. App. ---, --- S.E.2d ---, 2020 WL 7906676
- Anderson Creek Partners, L.P. v. Cty. of Harnett, --- N.C. App. ---, --- S.E.2d ---, 2020 WL 7895213
- In re J.S., --- N.C. ---, 851 S.E.2d 35 (2020)
- BNT Ad Agency, LLC v. City of Greensboro, --- F. App’x ---, 2020 WL 7258730 (4th Cir. Dec. 10, 2020)
- In re R.D.B., --- N.C. App. ---, --- S.E.2d ---, 2020 WL 7034064
- PHG Asheville, LLC v. City of Asheville, 374 N.C. 133, 839 S.E.2d 755 (2020)
- Rosenbloom v. Hunley, 797 F. App’x 777 (4th Cir. 2020)
- Jubilee Carolina, LLC v. Town of Carolina Beach, 268 N.C. App. 90, 834 S.E.2d 665 (2019)
- Terry v. Swift Transp., 771 F. App’x 245 (4th Cir. 2019)
- Poage v. Cox, 265 N.C. App. 229, 828 S.E.2d 536 (2019)
- Propst Bros. Dists., Inc. v. Shree Kamnath Corp., 263 N.C. App. 454, 823 S.E.2d 633 (2019)
- Bluitt v. Wake Forest Univ. Baptist Med. Ctr., 259 N.C. App. 1, 814 S.E.2d 477 (2018)
- N.C. Dep’t of Transp. v. Mission Battleground Park, DST, 370 N.C. 477, 810 S.E.2d 217 (2018)
- Wilkie v. City of Boiling Spring Lakes, 370 N.C. 540, 809 S.E.2d 853 (2018)
- Ballard v. Shelley, 257 N.C. App. 561, 811 S.E.2d 603 (2018)
- McDowell v. Randolph Cty., 256 N.C. App. 708, 808 S.E.2d 513 (2017)
- Rigby v. Philip Morris USA Inc., 717 F. App’x 834 (11th Cir. 2017)
- Davidson Cty. Broad. Co. v. Iredell Cty., 248 N.C. App. 305, 790 S.E.2d 663 (2016)
- Ribelin v. Creel, 368 N.C. 793, 783 S.E.2d 733 (2016)
Representative Amicus Briefs
Uzuegbunam v. Preczewski, No. 19-968 (U.S. Dec. 19, 2020)
- Hewitt v. Comm’r, No. 20-13700 (11th Cir. Dec. 17, 2020)
- McKiver v. Murphy-Brown, LLC, 980 F.3d 937 (4th Cir. 2020)
- Kornegay Family Farms LLC v. Cross Creek Seed, Inc., 370 N.C. 23, 803 S.E.2d 377 (2017)
Kip is a contributing author on this blog, which provides news, information and tips for practicing law in North Carolina’s State and Federal Appellate Courts. Visit the blog.
Kip also contributes to this blog, which provides analyses of North Carolina Business Court decisions. The goal of this blog is to arm businesses with the information they need to adjust their legal strategies as the case law evolves. Visit the blog
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Kip regularly represents criminal defendants on appeal by appointment under the Criminal Justice Act and is also active in the state’s appellate guardian ad litem program, serving as appellate counsel on behalf of abused and neglected children.
Kip is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Appellate Rules Committee and is the current CLE Committee Chair for the Appellate Practice Section. In 2018 he was inducted into the Herb Falk Society, which honors members of the Greensboro Bar Association for pro bono service.
Outside of work, Kip enjoys singing with the Bel Canto Company and composing music in his spare time. He is also a current member of the Leadership Greensboro Class of 2018 and serves as a preceptor for Elon Law School.
Before Fox Rothschild
Kip was a senior associate at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
While in law school, Kip was articles editor for Law and Contemporary Problems, earned the highest GPA in his graduating class, received Order of the Coif, was a member of the Moot Court Board, won the Dean's Cup Moot Court competition and was a regional finalist in the American Bar Association National Appellate Advocacy Competition.
Honors & Awards
- Named to the "Legal Elite" list by Business North Carolina for Appellate Law (2021) and "Young Guns" (2021)
- Included in a list of North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, for Appellate Law (2017-2021)
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society (2019)