Bill represents clients in highly regulated industries, particularly gaming and cannabis. He has worked for all three branches of the Illinois government: the executive, legislative and judiciary. However, Bill represents clients nationwide, both in regulatory matters and civil litigation.
As a former legal adviser to the Illinois Gaming Board (IGB), Bill authored much of Illinois’ gaming regulations and advised the IGB and the governor’s office on all aspects of gaming law and regulation. Bill draws upon this and his other government experience to counsel clients in gaming and other industries that have regulatory oversight.
Bill guides gaming industry companies, suppliers and investors in navigating complex gaming laws. He is regularly called upon to assist clients applying for gaming licenses in jurisdictions across the country. In addition, he regularly defends gaming licensees in disciplinary proceedings and has successfully enjoined regulators from revoking such licenses. Bill also works with gaming regulators and lawmakers to craft new and revised gaming regulations.
Bill counsels clients on promotional sweepstakes, contests, fantasy sport leagues and charitable raffles, ensuring that such programs comply with state and federal laws and do not constitute illegal gambling.
Bill is also co-chair of Fox's Cannabis Law practice* and counsels clients in the medical and recreational cannabis space in multiple states across the country. Bill is a trusted adviser to both public and private cannabis companies. He is part of a multidisciplinary team at the firm that provides services and guidance to legal marijuana businesses in the areas of:
- Licensing and regulatory compliance
- Shareholder and partnership agreements
- Venture capital
- Banking and financial services
- Employee benefits
Additionally, Bill regularly litigates in administrative hearings, trial courts and appellate courts. In addition to the IGB, Bill’s experience in Illinois includes representing clients with the Illinois Racing Board, the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Chicago Department of Public Health, the Illinois State Board of Elections, the University of Illinois, the Illinois Department of Central Management Services, the Illinois Secretary of State, the Illinois Department of Revenue, the Illinois Department of Agriculture, the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, the Illinois Comptroller, the Cook County Department of Revenue and numerous local municipalities. He has also represented clients with government agencies outside of Illinois. In addition, his litigation experience includes acting as lead counsel in multiple state and nationwide class actions, and handling commercial and regulatory disputes between competitors.
* Please be mindful that possessing, using, distributing and/or selling marijuana is a federal crime, and no legal advice given by Fox is intended to provide any guidance or assistance in violating federal law.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Bill was a partner at Nixon Peabody (previously Ungaretti & Harris). Bill was also Acting General Counsel and Legal Counsel to the Illinois Gaming Board for over seven years. Early in his legal career, he was Assistant General Counsel to the Illinois House of Representatives and the judicial law clerk for the Honorable Aaron Jaffe in the Chancery Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
In addition to his legal and state government experience, Bill has held numerous professional and local government positions, including:
- Co-Chair, Administrative Law Committee, Chicago Bar Association (February 2017 – Present)
- Co-Chair, Gaming Law Committee, Chicago Bar Association (2015 - 2016)
- Legislative Liaison, Administrative Law Committee, Chicago Bar Association (2015 - 2016)
- Legislative Liaison, Gaming Law Committee, Chicago Bar Association (2014 – 2015)
- Commissioner, East Skokie Drainage District, Lake County, Illinois (March 2013-Present)
- Member, Park District of Highland Park, Parks Advisory Committee, Highland Park, Illinois (2011-2013)
- Commissioner and former Chairman, City of Highland Park Natural Resources Commission, Highland Park, Illinois (2011-2013)
- Commissioner and former Chairman, City of Highland Park Environmental Commission, Highland Park, Illinois (2006-2010)
Honors & Awards
- Named a Cannabis Law Trailblazer by The National Law Journal (2018)
- Named to a list of 250 Cannabis Law Experts by Databird Research Journal (2018)
- Selected for inclusion in Expert Guide’s: Best of the Best USA – Top 30 Gaming Lawyers in the United States (2014)