Jeff is a seasoned business litigator who counsels clients on complex commercial issues.
He regularly appears in the state and federal courts in North Carolina and other jurisdictions, including North Carolina's Business Court, and he has tried matters to decisions before arbitrators and federal and state juries.
Jeff serves clients in a wide range of industries, including nuclear energy, banking, loan servicing, real estate and insurance industries, as well as smaller, closely held companies and individuals.
His experience spans a variety of complex business matters, including construction and services contracts, product liability, commercial leases, shareholder agreements, loan servicing agreements and servicing practices, and other financial services issues.
Recently, Jeff has represented:
- A commercial client in the energy industry pursuing a claim against a large, Charlotte-based utility stemming from the utility’s decision to terminate an engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract for a nuclear power plant
- A company founder and minority owner in a contentious jury trial against other owners involving issues including minority shareholder oppression, derivative claims, wrongful termination, and breach of fiduciary duty
- Numerous lenders, servicers, and real estate developers in disputes involving claims of predatory lending, selling, and servicing activities
- A large insurance company in a large dispute with a commercial broker over commissions alleged to be due for placement of corporate owned life insurance (COLI)
- An insurance company and health care provider in a dispute over the cause of and responsibility for mold in a leased property
- A closely held company in a contentious dispute with a large banking institution over the suitability of a complex lending transaction that involved interest rate swap agreements
Before Fox Rothschild
Jeff was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Before relocating to Charlotte, NC and joining Smith Moore Leatherwood in 2007, Jeff practiced law in Pittsburgh in the complex commercial litigation group of an AmLaw 100 law firm. Prior to that, he was a Supply Officer in the United States Navy.
Honors & Awards
- Selected by Law & Politics Magazine for inclusion in North Carolina Super Lawyers-Rising Stars Edition, Business Litigation, 2012