Jeff is a trusted business advisor, strategic litigator and relentless adversary. Clients rely on him to navigate their most complex, nontraditional commercial disputes.
Jeff’s representations span a range of industries, including nuclear energy, banking, transportation, manufacturing and insurance. His clients include large corporations, closely held businesses and individuals – though the common thread between most engagements is their complexity.
For new clients, Jeff invests early to learn and understand their core business, business goals and how their legal issues impact the bottom line. When litigation is unavoidable, Jeff provides thorough guidance, thoughtful strategy and tireless advocacy. Knowing the client’s business ensures that litigation presents a realistic and achievable solution.
Jeff has helped clients with range of business disputes and litigation, including:
- Commercial contracts
- Construction contracts
- Transportation and cargo claims
- Lender liability and loan servicing issues
- Manufacturing and product liability litigation
- Shareholder agreements and closely held company disputes
- Commercial lease disputes
Jeff appears and litigates before the state and federal courts in North Carolina and other jurisdictions, including North Carolina's Business Court, and he has tried matters to decisions before arbitrators and federal and state juries.
Recently, Jeff has represented:
- A commercial client in the energy industry pursuing a claim against a large, Charlotte-based utility stemming from the utility’s decision to terminate an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for a nuclear power plant
- A company founder and minority owner in a contentious jury trial against other owners involving issues including minority shareholder oppression, derivative claims, wrongful termination and breach of fiduciary duty
- Numerous lenders, servicers, and real estate developers in disputes involving claims of predatory lending, selling and servicing activities
- A large insurance company in a contract dispute with a commercial broker over commissions alleged to be due for placement of corporate owned life insurance (COLI)
- An insurance company and health care provider in a dispute over the cause of and responsibility for mold in a leased property
- A closely held company in a contentious dispute with a large banking institution over the suitability of a complex lending transaction that involved interest rate swap agreements
- Several large insurance companies in product liability and negligence actions as a plaintiff and subrogee
It's Just Business Blog
Jeff is a regular contributor to the firm's It's Just Business blog, providing analysis of important rulings issued by the North Carolina Business Court. His posts often focus on issues uniquely applicable to out-of-state clients litigating in North Carolina. Staying on top of these cases – as well as other appellate and federal court decisions – is essential for companies that need to anticipate and respond quickly to changes in the law.
Before Fox Rothschild
Jeff was a partner at Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, which combined with Fox Rothschild in 2018.
Before relocating to Charlotte, NC and joining Smith Moore Leatherwood in 2007, Jeff practiced law in Pittsburgh in the complex commercial litigation group of an AmLaw 100 law firm. Prior to that, he was a Supply Officer in the United States Navy.
Honors & Awards
- Named to the "Legal Elite" list by Business North Carolina for Litigation (2021)
- Selected by Law & Politics Magazine for inclusion in North Carolina Super Lawyers-Rising Stars Edition, Business Litigation, 2012